SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sushipup1

Is it too early?

sushipup1
6 years ago

Is it too early in the season to complain about the proliferation of all things pumpkin? Real pumpkin recipes are probably ok, but all things pumpkin, as in the transformations at Trader Joe's.

My pumpkin intake is limited to a small slice of pie at Thanksgiving, after I've had too much to drink, and forget that I really didn't want it, but said yes to be polite.......

Comments (63)

• Solsthumper
    6 years ago

Preach it, sister!

Sol

sushipup1 thanked Solsthumper
  • colleenoz
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I looove pumpkin but DH, not so much. Pumpkin pie I could eat until the cows come home, and DD actually requested one when she came home earlier this year. DH also really likes pumpkin pie. We also like pumpkin scones, pumpkin bread and pumpkin soup (our favourite version has curry spices and coconut milk).

I love just chunks of roasted pumpkin as a side dish with dinner but DH will only eat a token few bites, with the exception of some outstanding pumpkin we had in a restaurant recently. All their food is cooked in a wood fired oven. With the pumpkin, they roast it whole, then cut it into thick wedges and roast it some more, and serve with a dressing that has miso, honey or maple syrup (can't recall which) and other things, and sprinkled with sesame seeds. It was awesome and the largest piece of pumpkin I have _ever_ seen DH eat, he polished off a whole big wedge!

sushipup1 thanked colleenoz
  • Related Discussions

How early is too early for cold plants

Q

Comments (11)
    Masbustelo, if I plant peas too early here they just rot. Our soil tends to be both cold and waterlogged for weeks in early spring. I guess it's drier where you are stuffradio; WCS's mid-Feb recommendation usually doesn't work for me, and as for "as soon as the ground can be worked" .... baloney! Maybe in Victoria or the lower mainland but apparently local conditions trump all. I have been pre-sprouting successfully for a couple of years (have to plant them gently!) but I don't know for sure that I'm getting any benefit; maybe those years they'd have sprouted in the ground anyway. I suppose I could run some side-by-side week-by-week tests but a) I'm too lazy/disorganised and b) we eat too many fresh peas so there's no big surplus of seed left to play with. Thanks both for your input.
    ...See More

Never too early too early to think about Christmas

Q

Comments (10)
    Love this idea! I have some old flannel nightgowns that don't fit or are worn in places but have hung on to them thinking "I can do something with these." Now I know what! I'm a long time lurker but seldom post. Love this warm & welcoming forum. Susan
    ...See More

How early is too early for fall decorating?

Q

Comments (27)
    Beginning of a month here. Summer is out by Memorial day--I go patriotic stays until August first. August is the ACTUAL back to school month even though September is the "traditional", so put away the red/wht/blue and get out my fall apples. I am anxious for fall decor and change by August. After that I begin in October with monthly changes. The one exception being Lent. I have some lenten things that will trump whatever month it is. A pet peve is the annuals are all still great...and will be through September, most likely. Mums are in the stores NOW and if I purchased them they will be done and gone by October/Nov when I WANT them to replace my outside plants.
    ...See More

Moving houses in early summer - too early to propagate?

Q

Comments (1)
    Both rosemary and lavender propagate easily, nothing special required.
    ...See More
  • Nancy 6b
    6 years ago

I love pumpkin bars, pumpkin bread, I want a slice of pumpkin pie every season, but one does it. I keep meaning to try pumpkin whoopie pies, I might like those. I've seen where coffee drinks actually use pumpkin in them, doesn't sound any better than just using pumpkin spice to me. I've never tried pumpkin soup, never seen it even offered around here. Something I would try, but don't want to make a big pot of it without knowing what it tastes like.

sushipup1 thanked Nancy 6b
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    6 years ago

ci_lantro, google Paul's Pumpkin Bars. We've been making them since the 70's, taking the recipe from an old Valparaiso cookbook. It's the same recipe, very good but don't overbake. They should be moist, not cakelike.

I like pumpkin pie and make a few in winter. I like the pumpkin bars and pumpkin custard, but I like anything custard.

A soup with garlic can be good sometimes, but other than that I'm not in any way a pumpkin spice fan. No Starbucks pumpkin lattes for me, I'll wait until their seasonal eggnog is available ;0)

sushipup1 thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • amylou321
    6 years ago

Im a sucker for all things fall. I'm a sucker for all things pumpkin,not pumpkin spice though. Pumpkin pie is my favorite pie of all time. I will buy pumpkin anything,and will try any food with pumpkin in it,savory or sweet. But again,not pumpkin spice. It has to have pumpkin in it. Mmmmmmmm. I dont think its too early. September 1st is fall for me. (Of course,I listen to Christmas music year round, so maybe I'm not the best person to give an opinion on such)

sushipup1 thanked amylou321
  • User
    6 years ago

Went to TJ's today. Picked up a sugar pumpkin and 3 mini decorative pumpkins. Didn't notice any of the pumpkin spice stuff on the shelves yet. I don't buy it anyway.

sushipup1 thanked User
  • plllog
    6 years ago

Nancy, this is my version of Marcolo's roasted pumpkin soup:

Roast the heck out of your halved and cleaned pumpkins (sweetie pie or sugar pumpkins are better than jack-o-lanterns) with a brush of oil, S&P. Peel and fork the flesh. Sauté onions and/or leeks and carrots until well caramelized. Add herbs, celery, peppers, or whatever tasty, and plenty of sage. Add allspice, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves (or whichever spices you like) and (mandatory if you're making this particular soup) smoked Spanish paprika. Add the roasted pumpkin. Add stock and/or water. Adjust seasonings and spices--they should be assertive, though it's to taste. Cook until everything is good and soft, then cool somewhat and puree. Garnish with a few choices of sour cream, fried sage, shelled roasted pumpkin seeds, ground spiced almonds, parm tuilles, etc.

sushipup1 thanked plllog
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    6 years ago

I used to like pumpkin pie but have a hard time finding a crust that is good (I don't make pie crust). I have a recipe for pumpkin custard pie with maple syrup that's pretty good. Better yet a pumpkin bourbon cheesecake garnished with pecans.

I like to use pumpkin pie spice with mashed, baked winter squash - butter, salt & pepper.

sushipup1 thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • colleenoz
    6 years ago

Try making Islay Corbel's pie crust recipe. It's really easy and really good. I've decided to make it my go-to pastry recipe.

My pumpkin soup, I peel and cut the pumpkin into large chunks (I prefer Kent/Kabocha), drizzle with olive oil and roast until soft and lightly browned. In a pot I sauté chopped green onions (DH can't eat regular onions), about one onion's worth (or a large-ish bunch of spring onions) and about a heaped tablespoon of curry powder. When the curry powder has fried off for two or three minutes, add the pumpkin, stir well and chicken stock to just cover. Simmer about half an hour, blitz smooth and add a can of coconut milk. If too thick add a little more stock or water. Yum-o!

• ci_lantro
    6 years ago

Morz8, thanks for the tip about the recipe. Already printed and waiting for a cool day. I purposely under-bake cakes, cookies, sweet breads just a bit anyway--just so the product will be as moist as it can be.

Seasgrass, I have often baked pumpkin pie filling in custard cups instead of in a crust. I don't think crust adds all that much to pumpkin pie...just makes it convenient to serve. It's also one way to keep a dessert gluten free.

sushipup1 thanked ci_lantro
  • Nancy 6b
    6 years ago

The pumpkin soup does sound rather good. So, roast the heck out of the pumpkin-I guess it should be blackened pretty well then? I haven't seen any pie pumpkins in store yet, but will give this a try when I find one & my older son is home. He's always up for something different. Thanks!

sushipup1 thanked Nancy 6b
  • plllog
    6 years ago

Well, browned anyway. The flesh should be caramelized and pulling away from the skin. If you want more total caramelization, you can do wedges instead of halves. I bet one of the "cheese" pumpkins Ricky was talking about would work, and the pie pumpkins have a nicer texture, but I have made it with a small jack-o-lantern pumkin and it was fine. The others are just better. ;)

sushipup1 thanked plllog
  • annie1992
    6 years ago

Cilantro, Grandma used to bake the pumpkin filling in a custard cup just for me, because I just don't really care all that much for pie crust. Now I do it for Amanda, because she's celiac but loves pumpkin pie.

I agree, I don't think crust adds a lot to the pumpkin pie. I have to have some whipped cream, though...

Annie

sushipup1 thanked annie1992
  • twoyur
    6 years ago

as far as I am concerned the only things pumpkin worth eating are pumpkin pie and Dunkin Donuts pumpkin muffins

sushipup1 thanked twoyur
  • twoyur
    6 years ago

Sorry forgot to post Pie Recipe

Pumpkin Pie

2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

½ teaspoon ground nutmeg

3 tablespoon molasses

1 ½ cups mashed cooked pumpkin

2 eggs beaten

1 cup heavy cream

1 cup light cream

Pastry for 9 inch pie

Mix all ingredients except the last. Pour into
    pastry lined pie pan . Bake in a preheated extremely hot oven (500 degrees) for
    8 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake for 55 – 60 minutes longer

sushipup1 thanked twoyur
  • plllog
    6 years ago

Whole wheat crust on pumpkin pie, rolled thin, is better, but I agree that the crust is mostly there for ease of serving. :)

sushipup1 thanked plllog
  • Rusty
    6 years ago

I'm another that loves all things pumpkin. And, I want my pumpkin pie in a pie crust, I love good crust!

I have mixed emotions about pumpkin spice without pumpkin, though. Last year was the first time I'd ever noticed all the pumpkin spice products, and I did try a few. Bought the International Delights liquid Pumpkin Spice coffee creamer, and loved it! At first. Perhaps I overdid it, but I was sort of glad when the bottle was finally empty. (It was a rather large bottle.) A week or so ago I bought a box of filled Pumpkin cookies at Walmart, they were delicious! ! A wonderful cream filling between two very pumpkin flavored cookies, yum! The word 'spice' was not in the name of them. Annie, would you share your pumpkin whoopie pie recipe, please? Also definitely going to try that pumpkin beer bread recipe that biondanonima posted a link to , if I can find pumpkin beer in this town.

Rusty

sushipup1 thanked Rusty
  • User
    6 years ago

Shopped again today. It's starting to fill the shelves. One thing I did try at this time last year was their Autumnal Harvest pasta sauce. I used it in eggplant gratins. Actually pretty good.

http://www.whatsgoodattraderjoes.com/2015/09/trader-joes-autumnal-harvest-creamy.html

sushipup1 thanked User
  • Olychick
    6 years ago

I really like Trader Joe's Pumpkin Bread mix. It's very good and easy to have on hand for a last minute quick bake when needed. Only available for a short time in the fall. When it's gone, it's gone. So I stock up.

I really like pumpkin, savory or sweet, but not the pumpkin spice scented anything, nor could I abide any of those flavors in coffee... just thinking of it initiates a gag reflex.

• plllog
    6 years ago

Just curious Olychick--is it an everything but water mix? Has a can of pumpkin in it? Needs additions? I've never heard of pumpkin bread mix.

• Olychick
    6 years ago

plllog, you need to add oil and eggs (and water) to the mix. I love not having to haul out and measure all the other ingredients when I am short on time. It's also a fun thing to make with my 7 year old grandson at the last minute. The pumpkin in it is dried, no can involved.

• amylou321
    6 years ago

I was watching diners drive ins and dives yesterday and they were making pumpkin pancakes with cinnamon pecan butter. I got the recipe online and will be trying them very very soon.

• annie1992
    6 years ago

Here you go Rusty, straight from King Arthur Flour. I can heartily recommend them, Zach actually counted them a couple of times, to see if anyone else was eating "too many", LOL. And he's nearly 40, which did not stop him from eating them for breakfast.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/pumpkin-whoopie-pies-recipe

Annie

• colleenoz
    6 years ago

Pumpkin pie spice is very close to what in the UK and Oz would be called "mixed spice" and is very commonly used in pastry and cake recipes. I also use it in my granola bar recipe.

• annie1992
    6 years ago

Colleen, can I have your granola bar recipe? I just made a batch of granola and it was pretty "dry", didn't clump at all. It's delicious but hard to eat, maybe I can get it to stay in bars or granola balls or something. Or maybe it'll be gone before I do anything else with it, LOL, but next time, I think I'll try bars...

Annie

• colleenoz
    6 years ago

It should be on the forum here somewhere. I posted it a while back. ATM I'm away from home don't have the recipe and can't post links.

Ah! Googled it! First link on Colleenoz granola bars :-) Obviously the granola and flour don't _have _ to be GF. :-)

GF granola bars

350g GF granola

200g-400g dried fruit (DH likes LOTS of dried fruit; I use a mixture of (depending on availability) craisins, white raisins, chopped glace ginger, chopped dried apricots, chopped dried apple, chopped nuts (almonds, pecans, brazils) and anything else lurking in the pantry)

1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1/2 cup warm golden syrup (the kind like light treacle, not Karo syrup)

3/4 cup GF flour

2-3 eggs

Combine dry ingredients then stir in golden syrup and two eggs. If mixture does not come together add the extra egg. Smoosh into a greased, paper-lined baking tray to 3/4" thick. Bake in a 350F oven until golden, about 30 minutes. Let set up in pan till cool, then turn out and cut into bars.

Enjoy!

• Rusty
    6 years ago

Thank you, Annie! ! I'm definitely going to make these, and probably soon!

Rusty

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Someone above said they never heard of pumpkin bread mix. I was shopping today so I took a pic. There is a can of pumpkin in this.

I made this last year its really very good and nice to have in the pantry for a quickie

Eta it makes two loaves 8in. For 4.97

• plllog
    6 years ago

That was me, Mamap. Thanks! The reason I hadn't heard of it is that I don't look at baking mixes in the stores and don't know a lot about them. Mind you, I have nothing against them if they work for you. I was just curious about how they get the pumpkin in, so I really appreciate your posting about this alternative. It makes sense that the one from Libby would have the can. :)

• Olychick
    6 years ago

plllog, I don't usually ever buy mixes (or look at them either), but TJ's sometimes hooks you with their great free samples. Or sometimes I'm served something at a get-together and comment on it, then am told it's TJ's. That's how I found their frozen lemon bars. Better than any homemade I've ever had (and I've made them for a million years). I took them to a potluck once and EVERYONE asked for the recipe :-).

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Plllog, I try to make most things from scratch but this Libbys Pumpkin bread is a good one have on hand...on the other hand if one has a can of pumpkin in the pantry it would be just as quick. Like banana bread if you have a few over ripe bananas you can have banana bread just as quick as a mix one.

• ruthanna_gw
    6 years ago

I do not like nor have ever made pumpkin pie but I always buy canned pumpkin when it's a Loss Leader around Thanksgiving to make pumpkin coffee cakes for bake sales and two kinds of pumpkin soup in the winter time.

I saw both pumpkin spice Cheerios and Special K cereal on my last trip to the grocery store.

• plllog
    6 years ago

I really meant it about not having anything against mixes. My mother taught us to bake cakes with them when we weren't quite reliable on reading and measuring, so I have fond memories. I'm just asking questions and learning.

I do have canned pumpkin in the pantry which I use for the pumpkin marble bundt cake--now that I have a Vita-Mix, I could probably make fine enough puree for a well risen cake, but there's a "get real" point in baking from scratch and slow cooking the pumpkin so it doesn't get toasty, does evaporate enough but doesn't dry out, sounds like a pain that a good can of organic pure pumpkin puree can totally prevent. :)

Still, I get that some mixes can have superiority from industrial applications (like the fine and firm pumpkin puree or the chocolate cake thing a friend swears by) and that having the convenience of a mix might be paramount when you don't have 15 minutes for mise-en-place. For me, if I had the mix, it would sit there unmixed, rather than being
    the savior of unexpected company. I do appreciate how that would work
    for you, however.

I promise, this isn't snobbery. Really, it's just interest in how it works for quickbreads that ordinarily have a big wet ingredient like squash or bananas.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Plllog, lol..I didn't read any snobbery anywhere in your posts. Thank You.

• plllog
    6 years ago

Just making sure. :) Some people put their noses in the air about scratch, but unless we're talking Annie of the truly farm to table (who is not snobby at all), at some point it all came from a market and the amount of labor already done--even if it's just an initially cleaning of the produce (to remove soil and bird poop) all the way to heat and eat--is what makes civilization possible, freeing up people to be astronomers and fashion designers, and still able to eat.

• amylou321
    6 years ago

All these pumpkin things I saw in the store today really boosted my mood. Last week was beautiful and fally,for lack of a better description. Now,it's 90 degrees,humid and miserable again. It really bummed me out. So ready for fall to get here and stay awhile.

• amylou321
    6 years ago

I don't know if I'm brave enough to go here. Maybe if it came in a smaller box.......

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    6 years ago

Just when you thought there was a limit to all things pumpkin:

sushipup1 thanked fawnridge (Ricky)
  • amylou321
    6 years ago

http://offbeat.topix.com/slideshow/13905

Some of these are just nuts.

• plllog
    6 years ago

FOAS, is that a parody, or is it real? The UPC is all zeros... ETA: Yep. Just googled. It's a joke. :)

• plllog
    6 years ago

Buzzfeed has a bunch more FAKE products with pumpkin spice.

Gotta tell you folks--when I smell all those spices that start with the pumpkin parade and go through the Christmas pinecones, I head the opposite direction. I love the smell of real spices in real food, but I can't handle all those commercial ones.

• plllog
    6 years ago

I was in a really big national chain grocery today. There was a little "Fall" display with mostly flowering plants of the mumish flavor and little pumpkins and gourds for decorating with. One jack-o-lantern type pumpkin another that might be a cheese--both more part for the decor than in the baskets for sale--and some pie pumpkins. A faint waft of that pie spice thing. In all, however, it looked appropriate enough for nearly 90°. :) I was admiring the restraint. :D

• ci_lantro
    6 years ago

Morz8, I made the Paul's Pumpkin Bars a couple of days ago. Added some nutmeg not called for in the recipe...just because I love nutmeg. The bars turned out really good (used a 9 x 13 pan because I didn't have a 10 x 15--which wouldn't fit in my countertop oven anyway.) I did omit the nuts. Next bake, I'll try adding some golden raisins to the batter or scatter chopped nuts on the icing.

• User
    6 years ago

• leahikesgardenspdx
    6 years ago

I saw this floss online today, they also have Campfire S'Mores, Candy Corn, Pecan Pie, Mulled Wine.........yes, it is a prank post from a real dental company.

• plllog
    6 years ago

LOL!! Mulled wine! The parodies are so good!

• User
    6 years ago

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    6 years ago

I hope you liked the Paul's Bars ci_lantro. I've never made them in a 9X13, but have 3 of the 10x15's for pumpkin bars and the Texas Sheet Cake (known as Brownie Bar Cake here). Big, big family so lots of need for amounts of desserts - DH one of 10 'kids', those kids had kids who are now having more kids..... I've never put nuts in the pumpkin bars either.

• ci_lantro
    6 years ago

Oh, yeah, I liked 'em. I ate about 3/4 ths of the pan myself.

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Never, ever too early!

also treated ourselves to a slice of pumpkin spice bread pudding--sinfully delish.