SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thomascarrillo

How to get started with a kitchen and bath remodel with other issues.

Tom
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am having a lot of trouble figuring out how to go about getting started with a large project. The project includes expanding two exterior walls, remodeling the kitchen, remodeling a bathroom, replacing 1700sf of flooring, painting the whole interior of the house, most likely replacing HVAC and hopefully adding solar. It could also be time to get the roof replaced. I hired an interior designer but, unfortunately, it didn't work out well. I don't want to start this off on a negative note so I won't go in detail here about what went wrong. With an open ended project like this I am suspect of just hiring a general contractor because it would be impossible to give any sort of estimate. I have a draftsman working on the plans for expanding my kitchen walls toward the exterior of the house. Given that I don't know what all of the pieces of the project could cost, how should I go about tackling this project? I feel overwhelmed but at the same time I need to be in a position to control costs as much as I can. I would love to find some sort of consultant I could hire to help me out. I work part-time and make my own hours so I can commit as much time as necessary to this project. Any help offered is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom

Comments (17)