SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

How do I get started in a career in kitchen design?

Valerie Noronha
15 years ago

After being a stay-at-home for several years I would like to go back to work. I have a BSCS, but haven't worked in my field for many years, nor do I desire to any longer, th. Like many here I became totally TKO with my kitchen and bath remodels and we are in the process of starting a built-in office project. Many of these I design myself and can't walk into anyone's kitchen these days without mentally critiquing it in my mind and thinking how I could improve the layout.

I'd like to turn this interest into a career. It's not only a field that interests me and that I think I would be good at, but also will help me to explain what I've done during part of the gap in my working years in a way that an employer might find useful.

So, what is the best way to get started? Are there any particular courses that I can take at a community college and/or internet courses? My gut feel is I should master the 2020 software since as a customer, seeing a CAD design is always important to me. I've not found any local classes offered. I live in Northern CA, though I did find some via a virtual classroom, but would have to purchase my own software to do that. Is there a different/better way to have training in 2020 or should I just purchase my own version of 2020? How does one go about becoming certified in NKBA? At what point should I consider myself qualified enough to go out and apply for jobs in this field? Is it better to get my foot in the door doing Admin type of work and hope for on-the-job training or do take some classes and then apply off the bat for a job as a kitchen designer?

Comments (16)