SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mollyri

I don't know how to get started on my kitchen reno

mollyri
5 years ago

We just moved into a new house this summer knowing the kitchen should be redone (currently no dishwasher). I have a sense of what I want to do- the footprint is mainly staying the same, but I'm removing a structural wall between the breakfast room and kitchen

and putting in a peninsula. I'd like to switch the range and fridge and add a dishwasher but I don't know how to get started.

I've had a kitchen designer come from a local kitchen showroom and he came up with a design that seemed fine, but it was a bit pricey for cabinets so I kept looking. I had a contractor come to see the kitchen, but he said that I needed to start with an architect. I had two architects come, but both wanted to do a whole kitchen design when I really think I just need to pay someone hourly to draw plans to have the wall removed as I feel comfortable doing the design work. I am now leaning towards Ikea cabinets, but their online software thing is terrible and I haven't had time to get to the store. Should I start with the architect? Pick up appliances (aren't there good appliance sales next weekend?)? Find a contractor first? I feel very overwhelmed which has made it hard to get started. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (12)