SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sapphire131

Need help with incoming putrid laundry

SEA SEA
6 years ago

Hi everyone,

Been away visiting daughter and her new apt.

The good news is the 20 year is doing great and self sufficient. Relief.

The bad news is the state of her laundry is putrid. Not because she's been doing cold water washes with a BOL detergent. She hasn't. I've taught her well and she's doing everything correct. It's the washing machines in her apt. complex. She's been alternating between Tide pods and Kirkland liquid detergent with a Tide Odor Rescue pod each load with hot or warm water--depends on if it's towels/sheets or a load of black clothing. Most of her clothing is black btw. Linens are white or light. In theory, her laundry should be pristine, but those contaminated washers...

The washers are nice Maytag 1980ish coin-op top loaders. Built like tanks. Really makes one miss build quality from yesteryear. However, they stink something awful. A mix of urine, feces and mold. Maybe they don’t rinse well? When I stepped into the laundry room downstairs to view the laundry facilities, I nearly vomited from the odor coming from inside the washing machines. The odor fills the entire laundry room and seeps to the outside walk-thru area. It's that foul.

Anyway, she has sinus issues and her sense of smell is not good. She was not aware of the filthy contaminated condition of the on-site washing machines. They look fine to the eye, but the nose tells you something is very wrong.

I took her to a Mexican market and bought her a bag of imported Ariel powder with phosphates. Then I took her and her laundry to a laundromat. I stuck my head in several front load washers there to see which were the least offensive since she can't smell well. I found one. We used it, put Ariel and a Tide Rescue pod in the drum along with her laundry and chose the "super hot" cycle. We sat in front of that machine for the 30 mins it takes and saw steam billowing out of the top of the machine where the detergent dispenser is. I felt confident the water temp really was "super hot" because the weather was hot that day and to see that much steam meant the water really was extra extra hot.

The laundry was slightly improved afterwards, but not by much. I hoped the results would have been better. This is going to take quite a few more attempts/cycles to strip the built up contamination. I didn't buy her liquid bleach, oxyclean, borax or anything like that because honestly, all that is too much for her to haul down the rickety stairs at the apt building while fending off the mentally unstable and aggressive tenants and preserving her safety at the same time. Tide Rescue pods she can pop in the laundry baskets easily. Then to haul the extra bits from the car and walk the half mile or so to the laundromat from the found parking space...you are on mugging alert every minute you are not inside the apt. (this is Santa Cruz and it's basically an unlocked mental ward at every turn, very sorry to report.)

She's coming home for a few days soon and bringing all of her washables for decontamination. I need help. What would be the best plan of attack against the contamination (which has been baked in by the dryer)? Should I soak in hot water and STPP, drain, rinse repeat several times then do special hot water washes with ______ detergent and this or that additive? Or should I bleach soak her non-black items for xx amount of time? Yikes.

I'm using a TL SQ so I don't have a boil wash function on my machine. I can add a kettle of boiling water if needed.

My products available are:

Clorox liquid bleach

Tide, All, Ariel, Cheer, and Amway SA8 powders

Liquid Persil

Borax

Biz

Biokleen oxygen bleach

BacOut

Cascade dishwasher powder

Palmolive green liquid

Tide rescue pods

If you could advise on process/procedure (as many as necessary) I would be appreciative.

Thank you.

Comments (30)