SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anitarapp

Vein directions for L-shaped counters with long runs each direction

Jane Schmo
6 years ago

We have chosen this river white granite for our kitchen. All of the slabs are from the same lot and will look identical.

Our kitchen is large and has a 5'x10' center island. The veins run parallel to the long length of the island. However, we have countertops along 3 other walls in the kitchen and one makes an L-shape. Bookmatching the L is not an option, so we are left with these options:

1. running the vein in the same direction throughout the whole kitchen where two long runs along the outer walls will have the veins perpendicular to the wall (i.e. the vein will run from front to back instead of along the long dimension of the wall)

2. running the veins parallel to all the walls and having a shift in vein direction at the seam of the L
3. mitering the corner of the L and hoping the fabricators can do a decent job matching up the veining
I've read through prior threads and seen that most think the vein should run the same direction throughout, however most of the pics I've seen where the vein runs front to back have been on much shorter lengths. Has anyone dealt with this on such long runs?

And before it comes up, we do not want to use a different granite along the outer walls.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (7)