SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_butler99

size and direction of island? Helllllp please!

Ashley Butler
6 years ago
I’ve asked a couple questions and I have appreciated the feedback so much!! I’m hoping once this kitchen reno is done you won’t have to hear from me again. :) We are military and live across country while this reno will be happening so I think that makes this even harder but it makes me appreciate your feedback even more!!!!

This kitchen is a great size, but I’m dying for a bigger island! It’s currently 48" wide by 79". We bought 2 jumbo slabs (photo attached). I have questions...

1. Does the veining have to go the same direction on perimeter and the kitchen island? Our GC says yes. If this is the case then my next question doesn’t matter...

2. The jumbo slab is 65 inches wide which means I’ll only be able to extend the island out (not left because I still want a kitchen table) about 10 inches. So then it’d be 58x79”.

I’m just not satisfied w that size Before I knew dimensions of slabs I wanted it to be about 18” bigger. So that would get me to 66”x79”. There is still plenty of room in the kitchen with it being this size.

To get it to the size I actually had envisioned, without a seam, they’d have to turn the slab so veining would no longer go the same way as the perimeter.

I guess the veining could go the same way if they did a seam, but I worry that may look bad and obvious since the quartz is white. Thoughts?

Here is another design question if I go larger - if I do get my counter to 66”x79” (I know this isn’t a standard size) will it look weird that the counter chairs are on the shorter side? Does that make sense? I’ll only be able to get 2 chairs in there, but when sitting you’ll be on the shorter side of the island verses chairs being on the longer side like a traditional island. I hope that makes sense.

I’d really appreciate the feedback on that!!

I attached the kitchen as well as what the island inspo is - so they’ll do it grey with the molding like in the attached pic.

If you made it to the end of this, I love you! I hope this makes sense....

Comments (24)