SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olychick2

Equifax hack

Olychick
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I didn't find a thread on this, I hope I didn't miss it. I think most people have heard about it, hackers have our id, ss#'s and all the other personal info they need to try to defraud credit card companies and us by opening and using new credit cards in our names.

I decided to freeze my accounts at all 3 main credit reporting agencies, just for my peace of mind. I have no plans on opening any new credit cards so don't think it will be an inconvenience.

BUT, I noticed today that my junk mail was filled with emails, offering to check my credit scores for free - or with subjects pertaining to the hack, with links to click on. I can tell from the email addresses that they are not legit, but am thinking many people, nervous as they are about this breach, might click on the links. So just be aware before you click that you might be adding malware to your computer by doing so.

Equifax Data Breach

eta: if you go to the Equifax site to check to see if yours was breached, apparently there is language requiring you to waive you right to sue the company if you use the service. I heard on NPR a couple of days ago that the AG (of NY I believe) put pressure on them to remove that language and the president of Equifax said people whose info was stolen will NOT be bound by the language in the agreement. I didn't have time to check to see if it has been removed from their site.

Comments (25)