Book Recommendations for Cookbook Club
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (18)
Related Discussions
Canning Books, Fav SW Cookbooks
Comments (12)Pam, We are nothing here if not enablers. We all enable each other, whether it comes to gardening, preserving or cooking. I have heard of Linda Amendt's book, but don't have it. I think you could do a search on the Harvest Forum and find reviews of it there. The three non-Ball canning books on my bookshelf that I use the most are these: "The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving" by Ellie Top and Margaret Howard. My copy is from the second edition, published in 2007. They may have a newer edition or a more current revision out, or even a newer book. I haven't checked lately. This book has marvelous small batches many of which make only 2 to 6 half-pint jars, which is a great way to try new recipes without making huge batches you might never eat. It also is ideal for items you grow in smaller quantities or can purchase at the Farmer's Market. This book has a lot of great recipes for everything from the usual jams, jellies, salsas and pickles to flavored vinegars, mustards, marinades, dessert sauces, syrups and even liqueurs. I use this book pretty often. "The Joy of Pickling: 250 Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden and Market" by Linda Ziedrich. I have the second edition, published in 2009. This book has a huge variety of recipes and they are different from a lot of the standard pickling recipes. For example, she has a whole chapter on recipes for sauerkraut, kimchi and other cabbage pickles, and a different chapter on rice-bran, miso and soy-sauce pickles. There's a full chapter on fermented pickles, and also full chapters on sweet pickles, quick pickles and freezer pickles....as well as chapters on pickled meat, fish and eggs, and a chapter devoted to chutneys, salsa and other relishes. I love this book. "The Joy of Jams, Jellies and Other Sweet Preserves: 200 Classic and Contemporary Recipes Showcasing the Fabulous Flavors of Fresh Fruits" by Linda Ziedrich. My copy shows a copyright date of 2009. I am not positive if all the recipes in this book are free of commercial pectin, but nothing I've made from this book has included commercial pectin. It is full of amazing recipes for anything and everything you possibly could make from fresh fruit, including these: apple cider syrup, apricot-pineapple jam, cantaloupe jam with mint, maraschino cherries, fig jam, rose petal jelly, rose petal syrup, red grapefruit marmalade, lemon curd, lime syrup, orange jelly, peach-fig jam, hot green pepper-lime jelly, plum-apple conserve, pomegranate syrup, pumpkin butter, quince jelly, raspberry jam, raspberry vinegar, strawberry-orange jam, tomatillo jam, tomato marmalade, yellow tomato-pineapple preserves, watermelon rind preserves and watermelon molasses. If you are looking for recipes that are a little different from the usual fruit recipes in canning books, this book is full of them. I was watching the same football game and thinking at times that it looked like they were playing the game inside a snow globe. I know you'll be busy today ahead of the brutal cold front. It is almost noon and we're still below freezing. It is hard to imagine that a week ago we were in the 70s and hit the 80s a couple of times. Today it is a whole different world, and a very cold one at that. Dawn...See MoreRecommend A Thai Cookbook Or Three?
Comments (10)I like this thai cookbook a lot.. Real Vegetarian Thai. I particularly like the fact that her directions are very detailed and she has great recipe for the basics from scratch - red curry paste, panang curry, various stocks etc. I realize that if I understand the logic of the cooking style, I can cook better. So the curry pastes are basically like a thick pesto that can be diluted as needed for various dishes. Like pesto, they also freeze well in icecube trays. So I can make various curry pastes in one sitting (most of the ingredients are similar except chilli color) and "assemble" the dish in a short time for dinner with just some chunks of tofu, veggies etc. The other thing I realized is using the right ingredient makes a huge difference. I live in the hub of asians in SF bay area and have several chinese grocery stores near me but some ingredients from a thai grocery store gave it that special flavor. Thai soy sauce (much thicker.. almost like a reduction of balsamic vinegar), thai palm sugar, thai red rice, thai sticky rice, also kefir lime leaves, thai chillies, galangal (ginger is not quite the same), lemon grass, tamarind (not paste). Most of these freeze well as well....See MoreThe Value of Local Cookbooks (church, club, fundraising types)
Comments (25)I had a collection of local books from a large section of school groups, churches, Fraternal Chapters, etc. going back to the 19-teens's and I donated them to the local historical museum. The problem comes using them without MAJOR editing. We no longer feed a family of 6-10, so recipes might need to be reduced in size to make 4-6 servings. Some ingredients are no longer available, or they are no longer in the same sizes due to several down-sizes over the past decade or so. A can of tuna today is 5-oz. and I remember it being as high as 7-1/2 oz. A cake mix is much smaller and the recipe may not work because of that. A "sleeve of graham crackers" are much smaller. Canned goods of all kinds once were 16-oz. There are recipes that call for a "can of coconut" because it came in a small can rather than a plastic bag. Anyone know how much was in a can? "Can of Hershey's Syrup" - it came in a small can and a large can. -Grainlady...See Morecookbook holder recommendation
Comments (13)Buehl, I tested some cookbooks so I could give you a decent answer. I tried my Betty Crocker Cooking Light book. It has a 3 ring binder type spine. It must have additional chapters I can purchase or something, as it is not very full. Therefore, it doesn't work very well in this holder. The plexiglass hinges from the bottom, rests against the rings, but doesn't come close to the pages, which makes it a little hard to read. Might not bother some people, but I have a hard enough time finding my place that I don't need anything throwing me off. I think if it was more full it would work better. Works fine if you don't flip up the plexiglass piece, but then it would get in the way on the countertop. I next tried my huge french cookbook. It has about the same size spine as yours. It accomodated that just fine. However, my french cookbook is so tall and wide, it stuck out beyond the plexiglass on the sides and top. So, maybe pay attention to the dimenstions of your cookbook compared to the dimensions of the holder. Thickness doesn't seem to be a big factor, it is adjustable and can handle a thick book. HTH, Amy...See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
Related Stories

LIFESimple Pleasures: Get a Book Club Going
Kick back with friends and a thought-provoking read for an event that’s entertaining and educational all at once
Full Story
ENTERTAININGBeyond the Book Club: 10 Creative Groups to Start With Friends
Let the good times roll while you enjoy shared interests like wine tasting, preserving, crafting and cooking
Full Story
DIY PROJECTSNeat Little Project: Make a Sturdy Stand for Tablets and Books
Save your neck from straining with this handy DIY wooden stand for an iPad, a Kindle or a good old-fashioned cookbook
Full Story
LIFE'Not My Precious Books!' — Pain-Free Ways to Declutter Your Library
Have your books and neatness too, with these ideas for paring down and straightening up a beloved collection
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGHow to Let Go of Unwanted Books and Magazines
Buried in reading material? This guide will help you decide what to keep and what to give away, sell or recycle
Full Story
ORGANIZING10 Ways to Organize Your Books That Don’t Involve Color
Get fresh ideas for displaying your books so you can enjoy them more and find the one you want
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESNovel Ways With Bedroom Books
Reading and relaxing go hand in hand. See how designers are incorporating mini and all-out libraries in the bedroom
Full Story
ORGANIZING‘New Minimalism’ Book Offers Fresh Ideas for Decluttering
Professional declutterers share smart ideas for simplifying your stuff for intentional living
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME15 Cozy Book Nooks and What They Want You to Read
Put the beach reads away; these comfy spaces are creating a fall reading list. What books do they suggest to you?
Full Story
annie1992