SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leelee27

Window dressings

Lesli Richardson
10 years ago
What would you do in this room? The larger of the windows that you see on the left faces the front of the house and is a large arched window about 70" wide. The two smaller flanking the fireplace look out to a side yard. I'm posting two pic. One obviously before the fireplace got painted. We are still under construction.

Comments (38)

• PRO
    Cara's Interiors
    10 years ago
    I think white wood blinds would be great here! Unless you feel the need for sun protection, I would leave the upper part open, however, they do make the white wood blinds in a shape to cover that too!
  • Lesli Richardson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I guess the large window blinds would have to be custom made. Very small town in east Texas. Any ideas how to have that done? Should I hire a carpenter?
  • simplify52
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Plantation shutters or wood/faux wood blinds. You can go online and order exactly the size you need. I'm about to do that myself. Good luck to you. Love what I can see of your home!!!
  • PRO
    Schroeder Design Group, NCIDQ, Licensed
    10 years ago
    Suggestions; Plantation shutters,,,,or wide wood blinds.....same color as the trim..to fill the entire window, curved window too......or if you want fabric at the window, one wide rod with interesting, large finials and straight panels with some fullness on each side of the windows that can be pull shut with rings or clips,,neutral fabric, light in fabric weight or just light in color....rod hung across the top casing right below the curved window..... and with fabric I would leave the curved window alone.
  • lgariepy6983
    10 years ago
    I like the white painted fireplace. I would also also paint the ceiling white and the beams.For a higher end look you could add beams to form squares on the ceiling. I also agree that wood horizontal blinds are great, or faux wood white blinds if your on a budget. What are the floors? How about painting the inside of the fireplace black with heat resistant spray paint to give it a cleaner look like fireplace showrooms do.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Search the box above under Photos for arched window treatments - lots of ideas.
  • Lesli Richardson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone. I've actually considered the grid on the ceiling. It's a Spanish home built in 1900. I'm trying to renovate it back to what it may have looked like then. All suggestions welcome. Thanks.
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    10 years ago
    I'd paint the trim, the walls and the ceiling-all the same color because though arched windows look nice from outside of a home, they look dumb with drapery-I would definitely NOT do shutters or wood blinds-because they will only emphasize the arch and I want them to disappear with straight drapes and hardware.
  • Lesli Richardson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is what this room looked like three months ago
  • PRO
    Helga Simmons Interior Design LLC
    10 years ago
    I would definitely leave the trim white and not paint the ceiling white either, what a waste of trim! You have one a great job ofar. Congratulations! For window treatments, have a look at conradimports.com. Conrad's are pricey, but this house is definitely worth it. They also have them for rounded windows. The rounded windows are beautiful. You have to purchase through a Designer, they are not available to the public. The knock-offs are no comparison!
  • PRO
    Helga Simmons Interior Design LLC
    10 years ago
    Sorry for the typos, the iPad does not write well. Of course I meant to say ..".done a great job sofar."
  • Lesli Richardson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    If I go with drapes ,linen or silk?
  • denisepeng
    10 years ago
    Heading style for you. More curtain choice(style, color, material, pattern etc), please visit cheerycurtains.com.
  • Adrianne
    10 years ago
    drapes are much more dramatic.. If you are trying to tap into that old spanish look drapes all the way

My first suggestion.. Something dark and rich in color and texture that drapes down almost all the way to the ground.
    Place the bar as high as you can above the top of the arch. Make sure that when the drapes are all the way open the rod is wide enough the drapes can be pulled back to show the entire window and the frame

Decor by Denise · More Info

my second suggestion.. not as fun.. but better than shutters
    Lake Calhoun Residence · More Info
  • PRO
    Aegean Design Studio
    10 years ago
    Depending on the style of furniture you're going to be using, I'd consider using woven woods in a lighter color with stationary drapery side panels. I'd only treat the bottom portion of the winddow and leave the arch.

For a softer look, look at Hunter Douglas Silhouettes, or Pirouettes too

White shutters would also look good in the room, but again, I'd like to know more about your decorating style.
    Chrysteen
  • User
    10 years ago
    Today the was an ideabook with a room like yours at
    Enchanted Oaks · More Info
    The beams run cross the room, which is more traditional, rather than down the length and are a bit lighter. The window treatments combine suggestions above and look lovely. You might check out the professional's Houzz book for more ideas.
  • Lesli Richardson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    They ran the beams the way the actual beams run. It's a very long narrow room . My conversation area will face the fireplace behind the sofa I will place a baby grand. This is a pic of the sofa I bought along with two chairs also showing the light fixture. Thanks for all the ideas!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    If the problem is a long narrow space, coffered ceilings can visually foreshorten and if that isn't enough, painting white can take the long beams out of the visual equation somewhat, but will lessen the Spanish feeling.
    Seven Oaks Showcase · More Info

Spanish Revival kitchen with Malibu tile · More Info

Princeton House · More Info

Bayshore Estates Custom Home · More Info

Living Room · More Info
  • Lesli Richardson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    New pic with light up. Going to try silk curtains with rod near ceiling. Thanks all.
  • Lesli Richardson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    New pic
  • denisepeng
    10 years ago
    Great . :D
  • lin15
    10 years ago
    I love the fixture, I would be true to your home style and would not put blinds or plantation shutters. Drapery on a forged wrought iron rod perhaps with simple rings you can slide back and forth would look lovely. It really depends on your furniture.
  • lin15
    10 years ago
    I did something similar ... I put the I'd about 4 inches above my windows, they looked great, simple in style silk.
  • PRO
    ResCom Designs
    10 years ago
    Try not to clutter the window or the room. You have taken a step to clear the wall and enjoy the outter view. I say use shutters. I am not a fan of shutters but in this case I think it will be the best fit for your windows. be sure to use a company that will manufacture the shutters to the exact shape of your windows and still be operable. I use Maxxmar.com for all our speciality windows. with Maxxmar you can also open all the shutters and create the illusion of another window.
  • catinbody
    10 years ago
    I spent a lot of money on custom shades for our arched windows and ultimately liked a simple straight iron rod with curtains like this: http://store.lynnchalk.com/arched-windows-with-drapes-in-bathroom/
  • PRO
    Decor Team
    10 years ago
    There are many posibilities for this lovely room; if you dont mind leavind the arched upper part of the windows exposed, you can install 'cafe drapes' which will give you privecy and screening but will still let a lot of day light in the room. Other option is an arched- top roman blind or an arched valance with the same fabric for a conventional roman blind,this will give you privecy, Screening and complete control on the amount of light in the room. The roman blind must be custom made and will be a wonderful way to personalize the room. Cheers
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    It always seemed a shame to me to have such a beautiful architectural element like arched windows and then cover it up with a straight hanging drapery. Sort of defeats the purpose in my book. I would bite the bullet and spring for custom draperies to fit the arch if it were me.
  • Lesli Richardson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm not covering the windows just adding fabric on the sides. I doubt I ever close them.
  • Lesli Richardson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Catinbody: that's what I'm going with.
  • nancy22032
    10 years ago
    I grew up in Spanish style house built in 1920s. Window had arched top and drapes in heavy dark rich color print hung from iron rod with big black rings. These drapes were just at the side of the window & not closed.
  • PRO
    Cheery Curtains
    10 years ago
    What about this?
    84" L Printed Springtime Grommet Linen Window Curtains · More Info
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    I'd mount simple rods as close to the ceiling as possible and use pleated panels hanging from simple rings. The last thing do is shutters or the god forsaken arched wooden blinds...bleh. The worst. Trust me. Please. If you're worried about "losing" the arch on the inside, use an unlined wool or linen so that when light is pouring through you still note the shape of the window. For me, it's not a concern. Good luck, please post photos when installed!

Actually, I just noted that you really don't have space on the outside portion of the windows for panels. So I'd have simple, unlined flat Roman shades made, without the bars. And again, mounted as close to the ceiling line as possible. No exposed hardware whatsoever. Best!
  • Momof5x
    10 years ago
    I have three similar windows -large ones in the bedrooms of our new home. I am putting drapes as I want the arch shape to be seen but I just wanted to let you know ( good that just a few days ago I noticed this), that exactly like yours the arch on the wider window is slightly higher than the arch on the other two windows. Notice the frames at the top (curve), so let the curtain people be aware of that . When one of the bedrooms curtains was done, one set of curtains turned out shorter as they didn't take into consideration that one window was slightly higher. Have them make sure the curtains rails are all at same height and curtains appropriate length. The difference is hardly noticeable but very much noticeable when you hang up the curtains.
  • Lesli Richardson
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Doxa: Is it a no- no to do fabric blinds and drapes in the same room?
  • PRO
    Visual Senses Design
    10 years ago
    Naturally all depends on the interior decor and the amount of sunlight you receive there and how much you want to let in or not and how often these windows will be physically opened. You could use Fan shaped blinds example http://allaboutwindowscolorado.com/aaw_march_2013014005.jpg
    Classics but nothing to write home about. If so much work goes into your new home already I would hold on to something that creates a showcase yet is practical and makes a statement.
    If this is something you can agree to and you want to go somewhat truly creative DIY (or have it done) you could attach tiny rings all along the above clock curve 9 to 3 say every hour and then attach lined banners that start from each point going down and getting wider and wider. You want their total width be say at least 1 1/2 of the total window if not double so the banners when open will fill the entire window and slightly overlap the total width including the window frames. The top departure points can be pointed, horizontal, triangular, square or also 1/2 circle but always in proportion with the 1/2 circle. They also could be crush balls ( very affordable) from IKEA. It's like a spiral you twist and turn your fabric in and then let it fall. So you could get a very effective pom-pom effect that frames the top.That could even be a contrast colour or glam it up with a metallic. Say 5-10% of the total length of each banner that will remain in that constant pom-pom position and create a 1/2 contrast circle framing it from Gold, Silver, bronze copper what ever fits the entire concept.
    This is NOT exactly what I have in mind but it somewhat is on the way to my concept. Instead of one drape it is multiple vertical banners. http://interiorway.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Traditional-bedroom-furniture.jpg
    They then could drawn back contrary to what most decorators would do into one center bunch.
    Depending on the height of your drawback ring that could be placed exact at the height of the cross window section (make that a creative one say a horizontal half "8" could create "tree or flower bouquet " effect of any type. Flowers, geometric, graphic lines, or Dobby/Jacquard relief woven lines in mat and shiny satin or other or colour contrasts or simply plane and simple. If you are more of the romantic type you could have a center bow to actually tie or have one bought or made in Iron, Resin etc..
    The effect will result of an impression of height and column type of support while
    Again depending on you wishing to have them resting on the floor when open or closed you can define the bottom shape and length. I personally would let it rest on the floor when tied back. The ends of each banner could be 1/2 circle petal shaped. Sorry on my pad now on transport can't draw here but would be gladly to send a you sketch if you contact me through my website. www.visualsenses.com All the best.
  • Lesli Richardson
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I went with none at all. I do think the room needs softening though.
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    Sorry for the delay, I just now noticed you directed a question towards me several months ago. No, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using shade and draperies constructed out of the same textile in one room. I do it regularly. Hope that helps!
Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor