SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 9 - 2 - 17

User
6 years ago

Al Spalding Quotes
American - Athlete September 2, 1850 - September 9, 1915

Baseball gives a growing boy self poise and self reliance.
Al Spalding

Baseball is a man maker.
Al Spalding

I was not able to understand how it could be right to pay an actor, or a singer, or an instrumentalist for entertaining the public and wrong to pay a ball player for doing exactly the same thing.
Al Spalding

The genius of our institutions is democratic - baseball is a democratic game.
Al Spalding

Two hours is about as long as any American can wait for the close of a baseball game, or anything else for that matter.
Al Spalding

Hiram Johnson Quotes
American - Politician September 2, 1866 - August 6, 1945

The first casualty when war comes is truth.
Hiram Johnson

Frederick Soddy Quotes
English - Scientist September 2, 1877 - September 22, 1956

Man cannot influence in this respect the atomic forces of Nature.
Frederick Soddy

But what sin is to the moralist and crime to the jurist so to the scientific man is ignorance.
Frederick Soddy

Nature is in austere mood, even terrifying, withal majestically beautiful.
Frederick Soddy

With all our mastery over the powers of Nature we have adhered to the view that the struggle for existence is a permanent and necessary condition of life.
Frederick Soddy

An honest money system is the only alternative.
Frederick Soddy

Chemistry has been termed by the physicist as the messy part of physics, but that is no reason why the physicists should be permitted to make a mess of chemistry when they invade it.
Frederick Soddy

In the first place, the preparation of the Nobel lecture which I am to give has shown me, even more clearly than I knew before, how many others share with me, often, indeed, have anticipated me, in the discoveries for which you have awarded me the prize.
Frederick Soddy

It is curious to reflect, for example, upon the remarkable legend of the Philosopher's Stone, one of the oldest and most universal beliefs, the origin of which, however far back we penetrate into the records of the past, we do not probably trace its real source.
Frederick Soddy

Now whatever the origin of this apparently meaningless jumble of ideas may have been, it is really a perfect and very slightly allegorical expression of the actual present views we hold today.
Frederick Soddy

On our plane knowledge and ignorance are the immemorial adversaries.
Frederick Soddy

Scientific men can hardly escape the charge of ignorance with regard to the precise effect of the impact of modern science upon the mode of living of the people and upon their civilisation.
Frederick Soddy

The pure air and dazzling snow belong to things beyond the reach of all personal feeling, almost beyond the reach of life. Yet such things are a part of our life, neither the least noble nor the most terrible.
Frederick Soddy

The whole profit of the issuance of money has provided the capital of the great banking business as it exists today.
Frederick Soddy

There is nothing left now for us but to get ever deeper and deeper into debt to the banking system in order to provide the increasing amounts of money the nation requires for its expansion and growth.
Frederick Soddy

There is something sublime about its aloofness from and its indifference to its external environment.
Frederick Soddy

To-day it appears as though it may well be altogether abolished in the future as it has to some extent been mitigated in the past by the unceasing, and as it now appears, unlimited ascent of man to knowledge, and through knowledge to physical power and dominion over Nature.
Frederick Soddy

Cleveland Amory Quotes
American - Historian September 2, 1917 - October 14, 1998

As anyone who has ever been around a cat for any length of time well knows, cats have enormous patience with the limitations of the human kind.
Cleveland Amory

A 'good' family, it seems, is one that used to be better.
Cleveland Amory

The facts of life are very stubborn things.
Cleveland Amory

The New England conscience does not stop you from doing what you shouldn't-it just stops you from enjoying it.
Cleveland Amory

The opera is like a husband with a foreign title - expensive to support, hard to understand and therefore a supreme social challenge.
Cleveland Amory

I can't take a well-tanned person seriously.
Cleveland Amory

There are three terrible ages of childhood - 1 to 10, 10 to 20, and 20 to 30.
Cleveland Amory

Claude Nicollier Quotes
American - Astronaut Born: September 2, 1944

In general, the objects in the universe that are very high-energy objects, or the processes that are high-energy processes, will radiate more in the short wavelength range towards the gamma rays or the x-rays.
Claude Nicollier

My first dream as a child was to become a pilot. My second dream was to become an astronomer, and I pursued in parallel efforts and studies in these two areas.
Claude Nicollier

My name was on the list very early after these announcements were made through the newspapers in Europe.
Claude Nicollier

Then, much later, my next dream was to become an astronaut, and I was fortunate to realize that dream, also.
Claude Nicollier

I would say the most help I got was from my dad. My dad is a civil engineer in Switzerland; he's 90 years old now, so he's no longer active as a civil engineer, but still a very active person.
Claude Nicollier

I feel very privileged to be part of this mission, and when my nomination was announced, I was really very, very happy to be selected for this mission.
Claude Nicollier

Hubble is very close to my heart, and going back to Hubble, because I was there once already in 1993, is really a great privilege for me.
Claude Nicollier

The objects that are of moderate energy, like our sun or most of the stars that we see in the night sky with the naked eye, are objects in which relatively moderate energy processes are taking place.
Claude Nicollier

The future infrared space telescope will cover that area in a much more efficient manner.
Claude Nicollier

The Next Generation Space Telescope, which will be located much further away from the Earth than the Hubble Space Telescope presently is, will also explore the infrared part of the spectrum.
Claude Nicollier

As far as the radio waves part of the spectrum, we can do these adequately from the ground because the atmosphere is basically transparent to our radio waves.
Claude Nicollier

On one hand, to be able to go from one direction in the sky to study such an object to another direction to study another object, and on the other hand to be able to maintain accurately the position in space.
Claude Nicollier

We have the Fine Guidance Sensors, one of which we will exchange out of three. Another one we changed on the last servicing mission, and on the fourth servicing mission in 2003 or 2004, the third one will be exchanged.
Claude Nicollier

You can see these boxes which are covered with metal foils for thermal reasons, and they are also, most of the time, thermally controlled inside to keep reasonable temperature inside each of these containers.
Claude Nicollier

We developed already, before the first servicing mission, this has been further developed on the second servicing mission and we refined it this time, all the terminology.
Claude Nicollier

I think a benefit is that we try to put it up in a short time. From the decision to do this mission until we fly, it's six months and one week or so, so it's a very short time.
Claude Nicollier

It is going to be an experiment of how it works, and I see I have all reasons to believe that it will work fine. But it's a short time. And we also have pushed the envelope here a little beyond what has been done in the past.
Claude Nicollier

Christa McAuliffe Quotes
American - Astronaut September 2, 1948 - January 28, 1986

Reach for it. Push yourself as far as you can.
Christa McAuliffe

I touch the future. I teach.
Christa McAuliffe

I really don't want to say goodbye to any of you people.
Christa McAuliffe

Reach for the stars.
Christa McAuliffe

The president felt that it was important to send an ordinary citizen to experience the excitement of space travel as a representative for all Americans.
Christa McAuliffe

Sometimes when things get kind of frantic, it helps to call my husband Steve, because I think he's got a real good sense of where everything's gonna be in a few years.
Christa McAuliffe

My sympathies have always been for working-class people.
Christa McAuliffe

If anything happened, I think my husband would have to deal with that as the time came.
Christa McAuliffe

I told them how excited I would be to go into space and how thrilled I was when Alan Shepard made his historic flight, and when John Kennedy announced on the news that the men had landed safely on the moon, and how jealous I was of those men.
Christa McAuliffe

I will go around the space shuttle and give a guided tour of the major areas and describe what is done in each area. This will be called The Ultimate Field Trip.
Christa McAuliffe

If anything, the overriding emotion is gonna just be excitement.
Christa McAuliffe

My job in space will be to observe and write a journal. I am also going to be teaching a class for students on earth about life in space and on the space shuttle and conducting experiments.
Christa McAuliffe

Space is going to be commonplace.
Christa McAuliffe

If I can get some student interested in science, if I can show members of the general public what's going on up there in the space program, then my job's been done.
Christa McAuliffe

I cannot join the space program and restart my life as an astronaut, but this opportunity to connect my abilities as an educator with my interests in history and space is a unique opportunity to fulfill my early fantasies.
Christa McAuliffe

When I'm 60, maybe, I'll look at my pile of papers and wonder, What really happened that year?
Christa McAuliffe

We sat around one night and thought that people are going to look back and say, I can't imagine there was a lot of excitement about HER going up!
Christa McAuliffe

We haven't sat down with Scott and Caroline and said, Now you realize that there's X amount of pounds of thrust. And this can happen and that can happen.
Christa McAuliffe

The Twilight Zone' wasn't around with the kids. They think going up in space is neat. Within their lifetime, there will be paying passengers on the shuttle.
Christa McAuliffe

NASA was going to pick a public school teacher to go into space, observe and make a journal about the space flight, and I am a teacher who always dreamed of going up into space.
Christa McAuliffe

It's not the Olympics. It's Concord, New Hampshire, and a homecoming should reflect the community I'm part of.
Christa McAuliffe

I will have a one-hour program called the Mission Watch, where I will describe details of the mission and give additional information about the lessons from space.
Christa McAuliffe

I was a little concerned with how the crew was going to view me because I didn't know whether this program had been kinda forced down their throats. But they were wonderful.
Christa McAuliffe

I have the LIFE magazine of the men walking on the moon.
Christa McAuliffe

I can remember in early elementary school when the Russians launched the first satellite. There was still so much unknown about space. People thought Mars was probably populated.
Christa McAuliffe

Every shuttle mission's been successful.
Christa McAuliffe

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions