SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 11 - 9 - 17

User
6 years ago

Mark Akenside Quotes
English - Poet November 9, 1721 - June 23, 1770

The man forget not, though in rags he lies, and know the mortal through a crown's disguise.
Mark Akenside

Seeks painted trifles and fantastic toys, and eagerly pursues imaginary joys.
Mark Akenside

This was Shakespeare's form; who walked in every path of human life, felt every passion; and to all mankind doth now, will ever, that experience yield which his own genius only could acquire.
Mark Akenside

Such and so various are the tastes of men.
Mark Akenside

Benjamin Banneker Quotes
American - Scientist November 9, 1731 - October 9, 1806

Presumption should never make us neglect that which appears easy to us, nor despair make us lose courage at the sight of difficulties.
Benjamin Banneker

The colour of the skin is in no way connected with strength of the mind or intellectual powers.
Benjamin Banneker

Evil communication corrupts good manners. I hope to live to hear that good communication corrects bad manners.
Benjamin Banneker

I am of the African race, and in the colour which is natural to them of the deepest dye; and it is under a sense of the most profound gratitude to the Supreme Ruler of the Universe.
Benjamin Banneker

Were there no uniforms, there would probably be no armies.
Benjamin Banneker

Standing at my door, I heard the discharge of a gun, and in four or five seconds of time, after the discharge, the small shot came rattling about me, one or two of which struck the house; which plainly demonstrates that the velocity of sound is greater than that of a cannon bullet.
Benjamin Banneker

I have no influence with the rising generation. All my arguments have failed to induce them to set bounds to their wants.
Benjamin Banneker

Marie Dressler Quotes
American - Actress November 9, 1869 - July 28, 1934

If ants are such busy workers, how come they find time to go to all the picnics?
Marie Dressler

By the time we hit fifty, we have learned our hardest lessons. We have found out that only a few things are really important. We have learned to take life seriously, but never ourselves.
Marie Dressler

I contend that every woman has the right to feel beautiful, no matter how scrambled her features, or how indifferent her features.
Marie Dressler

Any fact is better established by two or three good testimonies than by a thousand arguments.
Marie Dressler

In order to represent life on the stage, we must rub elbows with life, live ourselves.
Marie Dressler

To know that one has never really tried - that is the only death.
Marie Dressler

By the time we've hit fifty, we have learned our hardest lessons.
Marie Dressler

No vice is so bad as advice.
Marie Dressler

We have learned to take life seriously, but never ourselves.
Marie Dressler

Anne Sexton Quotes
American - Poet November 9, 1928 - October 4, 1974

Saints have no moderation, nor do poets, just exuberance.
Anne Sexton

It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was.
Anne Sexton

Put your ear down close to your soul and listen hard.
Anne Sexton

God has a brown voice, as soft and full as beer.
Anne Sexton

The joy that isn't shared dies young.
Anne Sexton

Live or die, but don't poison everything.
Anne Sexton

Death's in the good-bye.
Anne Sexton

I am not immortal. Faustus and I are the also-ran.
Anne Sexton

Need is not quite belief.
Anne Sexton

In a dream you are never eighty.
Anne Sexton

Even without wars, life is dangerous.
Anne Sexton

The beautiful feeling after writing a poem is on the whole better even than after sex, and that's saying a lot.
Anne Sexton

Carl Sagan Quotes
American - Scientist November 9, 1934 - December 20, 1996

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.
Carl Sagan

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
Carl Sagan

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Carl Sagan

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Carl Sagan

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan

There is a wide, yawning black infinity. In every direction, the extension is endless; the sensation of depth is overwhelming. And the darkness is immortal. Where light exists, it is pure, blazing, fierce; but light exists almost nowhere, and the blackness itself is also pure and blazing and fierce.
Carl Sagan

Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
Carl Sagan

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
Carl Sagan

The brain is like a muscle. When it is in use we feel very good. Understanding is joyous.
Carl Sagan

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Carl Sagan

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.
Carl Sagan

The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.
Carl Sagan

No other planet in the solar system is a suitable home for human beings; it's this world or nothing. That's a very powerful perception.
Carl Sagan

We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.
Carl Sagan

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena.
Carl Sagan

We've arranged a civilization in which most crucial elements profoundly depend on science and technology.
Carl Sagan

A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
Carl Sagan

We are the representatives of the cosmos; we are an example of what hydrogen atoms can do, given 15 billion years of cosmic evolution.
Carl Sagan

The dangers of not thinking clearly are much greater now than ever before. It's not that there's something new in our way of thinking - it's that credulous and confused thinking can be much more lethal in ways it was never before.
Carl Sagan

We start out a million years ago in a small community on some grassy plain; we hunt animals, have children, and develop a rich social, sexual, and intellectual life, but we know almost nothing about our surroundings.
Carl Sagan

In our obscurity - in all this vastness - there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us.
Carl Sagan

We're in very bad trouble if we don't understand the planet we're trying to save.
Carl Sagan

Even these stars, which seem so numerous, are as sand, as dust - or less than dust - in the enormity of the space in which there is nothing.
Carl Sagan

We hunger to understand, so we invent myths about how we imagine the world is constructed - and they're, of course, based upon what we know, which is ourselves and other animals. So we make up stories about how the world was hatched from a cosmic egg or created after the mating of cosmic deities or by some fiat of a powerful being.
Carl Sagan

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan

When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it.
Carl Sagan

Personally, I would be delighted if there were a life after death, especially if it permitted me to continue to learn about this world and others, if it gave me a chance to discover how history turns out.
Carl Sagan

It's been said that astronomy is a humbling and, I might add, a character-building experience.
Carl Sagan

You probably don't need more weapons than what's required to destroy every city on earth. There's only 2,300 cities. So, the United States, by that criteria, only needs 2,300 nuclear weapons - well, we've got more than 25,000!
Carl Sagan

Our species needs, and deserves, a citizenry with minds wide awake and a basic understanding of how the world works.
Carl Sagan

But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

I am often amazed at how much more capability and enthusiasm for science there is among elementary school youngsters than among college students.
Carl Sagan

I can find in my undergraduate classes, bright students who do not know that the stars rise and set at night, or even that the Sun is a star.
Carl Sagan

We are not without empathetic terror when we open Pascal's 'Pensees' and read, 'I am the great silent spaces between worlds.'
Carl Sagan

Today, we're still loaded down - and, to some extent, embarrassed - by ancient myths, but we respect them as part of the same impulse that has led to the modern, scientific kind of myth. But we now have the opportunity to discover, for the first time, the way the universe is in fact constructed as opposed to how we would wish it to be constructed.
Carl Sagan

I've written a number of books that have to do with the evolution of humans, human intelligence, human emotions.
Carl Sagan

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

If we long to believe that the stars rise and set for us, that we are the reason there is a Universe, does science do us a disservice in deflating our conceits?
Carl Sagan

All of the books in the world contain no more information than is broadcast as video in a single large American city in a single year. Not all bits have equal value.
Carl Sagan

The professed function of the nuclear weapons on each side is to prevent the other side from using their nuclear weapons. If that's all it is, then we've gotta as: how many nuclear weapons do you need to do that?
Carl Sagan

Most of the people that I deal with are human. So I've had a lot of experience with that.
Carl Sagan

The boundary between space and the earth is purely arbitrary. And I'll probably always be interested in this planet - it's my favorite.
Carl Sagan

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions