SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ldstarr

I'm exhausted and taking a break (long, sorry)

ldstarr
6 years ago

All the horrible news related to the tragedy of Hurricane Harvey has me worn down. I can't even imagine how the individuals living it are coping. The more I read and watch the events in Houston and the surrounding area, the more disillusioned I am with our various governments and the more I'm inspired and proud of the American people. The steps our individual citizens are taking to help, neighbors and strangers alike, are heroic. Unfortunately, I'm angered and befuddled by the choices made by Houston's political bodies over the years. How can this chaos, hardship and loss of life be better than a congestion of an evacuation? I realize that this was an extraordinary storm, but why has Houston's drainage/flood protection system be allowed to be so inadequate? Certainly it would have cost no more to improve the system than this massive rescue/rebuild. Why were homes built in the "lake" area behind the flood control dams? Our engineers can absolutely forecast the pond area behind the dam structures. All of this has left me exhausted. I can't sleep. Ineptitude and complacency make me angry. Worries for all the people harmed and dead makes me need to do more. Everyone is in my thoughts and prayers.

Comments (18)