SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

I thought they would all be safe...part 4

marilyn_c
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have a friend who lives in Liverpool. Just her and her mother. So we are staying with her. Jody has a friend who lives nearby. My friend has no transportation...depended on me to take her places. She lives about 2 miles from me. The horses are a mile in the other direction.

This morning Jody's friend took us down to where the water has come up. We borrowed a canoe and paddled to the house. Nara had told me....do not go back until the water falls. Like I am going to leave my dogs and cats that long!

The canoe was much easier to maneuver than the skiff we took yesterday.

I had also left 4 kittens in a basket on the bed. When we left, several of my dogs were on my bed. I was afraid the kittens would ,get out of the basket, jump off the bed and drown. I was afraid one of the dogs would jump on the desk and knock it in the water and drown the coon. I was afraid the baby squirrel would be dead because he hadn't been fed.

The little squirrel was dead. Miraculously the coon was okay. The kittens were out of the basket, but sitting on the bed with the dogs. At least 3 of them were. The 4th was a few weeks younger and no where to be found. I can only assume she drowned.

The water had gone down so it was about 14 inches deep. Inside of the house looked like s bomb had gone off. We have a new side by side refrigerator freezer. Both sides were full of food, but it was tipped over on it's side. The upright freezer was leaning. I couldn't find any of my clothes. We threw away the food except what we could feed the dogs.

I think the water may be out of the house tomorrow and we can start cleaning up. At least the part of just throwing stuff away. All my furniture is hard wood...no particle board. All antiques. I hope it can be saved.

I brought the kittens here with me. Nara came and picked up my coon.

There is so much devastation at my house, nothing looked the same. My possum cages were under water. except for one, and it was under water except for about four inches. The possum in there was still alive so we maneuvered the canoe over there and opened the door. I couldn't do anything else for her because the current was running hard and it was under the branches of a big oak. This is a possum I released several times but she always comes back. I am sure she will never come back again after her ordeal.

So this is my last couple of days. We will get through this. One day at a time.

Comments (23)