SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

In a quandary

bkay2000
6 years ago

My sister teaches talented and gifted our public schools. The 5th graders have to make 2 quilts as a project (one is a joint class project, the other is their own). My sister does not sew past hemming and repairs. So, last year, I helped her with that class. We made a class quilt and each made a pillow cover or a wall hanging for their project. So, anyway, to cut to the chase: My sister has the bright idea to have the kids make lap quilts for a nursing home this year. (It's the first of the school year, the teachers are rested and have just spent several days of "in service", which is a rah! rah! exercise.) I'm remembering the unmatched seams, the tangled bobbins, and the crooked seams, the things that didn't get finished and most of all, Mr. Seam Ripper.

I can't quite see how to get there - where we have a product that we can present that can actually be used and washed. Then, my brain goes off into "well, if it didn't have too many pieces" and "if we birthed it" and "if we found a big picture print for the front center".

I can't decide whether to try to talk her out of it or try to figure a way to do it.

These are low income students and are 1st generation Americans. Most have never seen a needle and thread, much less a sewing machine. They are really bright, though. Most have good parental involvement. There will only be 5 or 6 of them, so that means just two or three lap quilts.

I wonder if it can actually be done. Like I said I'm in a quandary. Can I make it simple enough they can make most of it and it's still call it a quilt?

bkay

Comments (6)