SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lori_silverman43

sliding doors with blinds between glass, need room darkening tips

Lori Silverman
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We have two sets of Milgard sliding doors leading to the backyard, which have the blinds between glass feature. The blinds are quite skinny, and I hadn't realized how much light is still allowed in through the blinds. Since one of the sets of doors is off the bedroom, it's making it hard to sleep once the sun is up. They're also not the best from a privacy standpoint - there's still a fair amount of visibility when they're all the way closed, depending on which direction you're looking. That said, overall, I'm happy with the purchase...one of the reasons I got them is that I have a dust mite allergy, and I didn't want a lot of dust-collecting surfaces or fabrics to deal with. In that, they're great. Very easy to use, and nice and sleek, contemporary appearance. There is one other smallish window in the room on the north side, which has dual light-filtering/blackout honeycomb cellular shades. So, with all of that going on... does anyone have any recommendations for doctoring our current situation to add some kind of blackout window treatments to the doors? Would it look odd to install blackout roman shades in addition to the existing door blinds and window shades? Or should they be the same honeycomb type as for the window? (Seems to me that cell shades over slat blinds would look weird, but I can't picture it in my mind too well.) Are drapes the best way to go, from a decorating standpoint (even though they're my least favorite window treatment to deal with in general)? What's the best way to bring all these components together in a way that lets us block the light better, without creating a jarring look? Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath