SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
notthemarinebiologist

Need help determining cause of two sickly Monstera Deliciosa

Art Vandelay
6 years ago

My dear Monsteras are losing their will to live, but I can't figure out what the cause is. Ultimately, I need to try and figure out what the problem could be, I've already taken a couple of steps including repotting, fertilizer, being consistent with watering habits (not too wet and not to dry). What could this be, what should I do?

One is a young monstera, and you can see from the photos it's leaves are yellowing/losing their green and it has one of it's little tentacles growing so long it's reached 17.5 inches! The stems for the leaves that are yellowing are also yellow. The entire plant looks lack laster in person, I'm not sure the photos do it justice. I thought about giving it an upgraded pot but no roots are protruding, and it's only 1 year old.

The mature monstera has a leaf also going yellow but this one has spotting. Other than this leaf, there's another one that looks like it may turn. It's hard to tell if the problem on the mature monstera is plant wide or just natural ageing. I upgraded it's pot size, because of this leaf but this appears to of made things worse.

I live in Zone 9b, both plants receive plenty of sun throughout the day in a west facing window. I've been giving them all purpose fertilizer every other watering. The soil they're in is mainly inert, perlite, bonsai medium in clay pots. When I water them they're drenched then left until they require watering again.

Would love some help, advice, a laugh at me or with me! I have a few more plants that are struggling, there's something I'm either doing or not doing that's harming my green friends.

Thanks for any and all help and advice.

Young Monstera:

Mature Monstera:

Comments (20)