SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frogs_gw

Need help with rubber plant, dieffenbachia, schefflera, monstera,

frogs
17 years ago

My father-in-law passed away a month ago and I have acquired 5 large plants and 2 small ones. I really would like to keep these plants beautiful and healthy for sentimental reasons, but I have no clue how to take care of them. I've searched online and come up with different answers. Do I repot them? How big of a pot do I put them in? I understand these plants get large, do I go ahead and put them in big pots or let the pots grow with them? What kind of pots do I put them in, is plastic okay? Do I get the pots that have the bases on the bottom so they don't leak on my floor (these seem like they wouldn't drain well, but I don't know) or do I just put the little clear plastic tray things under regular pots with holes? I live in TX, is it safe to put these out on my porch after all dangers of frost are over? In the summer it'll get up to 100, will it be okay to leave them out or do I need to bring them in? Full sun or in the shade? I read somewhere about putting pebbles in the bottom of the pots to help the drainage, is this a good idea? I don't want to over water or under water them. I've been watering them weekly, but they act like they're really thirsty?

Here is what I have (I had to look these up online to see what they were, I hope I got their names right):

1-Rubber Plant, 2' tall in an 8" inch pot

(this was beautiful when I got it and still is, but the stem towards the bottom of the plant is getting real woody looking..does this mean I'm not watering it enough?)

2-Monstera, 2' tall in a 10" pot (it's so full I couldn't get the tape measure across it to measure it, but it's a little bit bigger than the other pots)

3-Spathiphyllum (Peace Lily), 1.5' tall in an 8" pot

4-Dieffenbachia, 1.5' tall in an 8" pot

(this plant looks really full, but a 3 of it's leaves are have a brown spot the size of a half dollar in the middle of the leaves)

5-Shcefflera, 2.5' tall in a 10' pot (the longest part of it is 2.5' and looks like it needs to be tied to something because it is leaning really bad. A couple of the stems are about 1.5' long and they only have leaves at the top and bottom...nothing in the middle which looks funny? Can these be trimmed back or will that hurt them?)

6-Cyclamen, (2) 6" tall in a 6" pot (I read these are actually bulbs and I'm supposed to dig them out of the pots after they're done blooming and put into ziploc bags?)

7-Syngonium, (2) 6" tall in an 8" pot (still have lots of room to grow)

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH