SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fretfullyanxious

over-watered, stressed out split leaf

Danielle
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello all, I greatly appreciate any help you can give. I believe this poor plant is dealing with effects from overwatering/sitting in wet mix, and I'm starting to worry I won't be able to fix it. I'll hopefully cover all important info, but please ask any questions you need to.

Patient history: a young split leaf philodendron, three months under my care. Bought at a walmart garden centre (fully aware that's not the greatest plant pedigree, but I love a good deal). Unfortunately no photos from that time, but he was very healthy looking, had lots of fresh new growth, three older leaves with a few splits each and more newer growth with the full splits coming in. Everything seemed strong and happy.

Here he is now:

(It gives me no pleasure to present him to you this way.)

Patient stats:

- at a south-east facing window, more east than south (photos taken around 9:30am today; I live in Toronto, Ontario); early morning direct sun is usually blocked by the shade, and by the time the shade is opened it's not as direct.

- temperature and humidity wise: it's not notably humid at the window, in that room (the kitchen); there is a window air conditioning unit on in the apartment, in a room not directly attached to the kitchen, so he is not in a direct draft or breeze; it's been the typical Southern Ontario summer weather the past few months.

- 10" pot with drainage holes, inside a larger pot; repotted into this pot about two weeks after bringing him home; I made more drainage holes in the inner pot because the standard ones were fairly lacking; no bottom layer of drainage rock or anything (I've read the forum's writing on this topic!); every so often I manually aerate with a wooden chopstick (wiped down between aerations).

- a week and a half ago, repotted into an attempted 5-1-1 mix: orchard bark (chopped up a bit smaller to make it more in line with pine bark fines), some Miracle Gro cactus and succulent mix, and perlite. Yes, that is not the correct 5-1-1 recipe ingredients list- I now have some pine bark fines on order from Home Hardware; it was relatively hard to find a manageable size of those so I subbed with the orchard bark but ultimately don't think it's working for me. I am also absolutely ok with buying spagnum peat if I should do that instead of my soil substitute. I think my substitute-heavy failed 5-1-1 mix was a big aspect in the decline of this plant.

(Dime as size reference; browning stalks?)

- I gave it a heavy water when I repotted (week and a half ago), and was very pleased to see water running freely out of the drainage holes. I had him sitting out on my shaded porch in just the drainage pot to let the water drain for the Sunday afternoon, and then brought him in and sat him in the bathtub for a bit longer before going back into the bigger pot. Previously, I'd watered once every week and a half to two weeks since bringing him home three months ago. I have not watered since the repotting 1 1/2 weeks ago.

I feel sure that I overwatered it, or was massively overconfident about how freely draining the potting mix really was- I've had many leaves wilt, yellow, and blacken at the base (noted when I remove the leaves); the new growth has slowed down and is not the fresh bright green it had been; leaves continue to wilt terribly. A few nights ago I removed a large amount of still-damp potting mix from the pot (without fully removing the plant itself), and replaced with similar proportioned, fresh dry mix, but this likely was just more added stress to the plant, and not helpful.

(stalled, yellowing new growth)

(yellowing leaf)

I suppose my questions are mainly: is this plant suffering from overwatering, as I assume? Could it be a rot? Is this something I can remedy, and how?

I am second-guessing anything I thought I knew about plants, even though I've had a relatively good history with your standard "thrives on neglect" apartment-friendly plants in the past; I am actually usually very skilled at underwatering!

Comments (12)

Sponsored