SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_619651

Desperately need help to furnish daughter's room

Rita RS
6 years ago

We moved into this house over a year ago. And here is my teenage daughter's room.

Yes, I am a bad mother. I've been caught up in so many other things. She is so accommodative and has been sleeping in the guest bedroom. I want to make it up to her by making it perfect for her. She will leave for college in 3 years.

The 2 poufs shown in the picture will stay, other than that it's empty....so a blank slate.

The main color of the room will be green. She does not want Twin size bed. Full size would be perfect, but Queen is also OK.

The tape that you see is how the Full size bed will fit. How should we lay out the bed?

Here are more pictures of the room:

The tape in this pic shows how a Queen bed will fit. The table doesn't stay.

Left side is the entrance door and the right side is the walkway to bathroom.

The table doesn't stay.

The long wall is 16.5' and the window wall is 13.5'

I need bed, nightstand, writing table, pendant/chandelier and other accessories.

Curtains will be custom made.

Please help!

Comments (54)

• phuninthesun
    6 years ago

I would use a queen and place it on the left wall. Full size beds are less useful for the future. If you want it really special, let her help design it. I wouldn't worry about getting everything customized.

Rita RS thanked phuninthesun
  • Lois Huneycutt
    6 years ago

What does she want? I've never met a fifteen year old girl without plenty of opinions about her bedroom!

Rita RS thanked Lois Huneycutt
  • Related Discussions

Living room with no wall space - need help furnishing

Q

Comments (19)
    Thanks! I'm hoping it will be a cute space!! That doorway opposite the doorway is a little redundant, but it leads into the entryway/front door, so I'm not sure how it would feel walking into the back of a sofa. But maybe I am wrong! The condo is a converted 2-bedroom, where they turned the dining room into a living room, and the living room into a 2nd bedroom, which explains why the space is so awkward! What would anyone think about doing a sofa along the window/in front of radiator, and putting a chair or pouf under the TV (between built-in and bottom doorway)? Or a sofa along the right-side wall (where I have the random door/beach photo leaning) with a comfy accent chair top left next to window? Would something like this work at all or am I crazy?
    ...See More

Help designing my daughter’s big girl room

Q

Comments (10)
    A canopy would work as long as it’s a twin. I love that look and kind of forgot to explore that option!!! And I agree, tall bureaus aren’t ideal but unfortunately it’s my only choice in this room. There’s only wall space for one horizontal dresser and she will really need the extra storage of the two lingerie chests since her closet is tiny. All of our furniture throughout our home is anchored to the wall (she’s our 3rd kid), so that will be a given. This won’t be her forever room, so trying to make do for the next five or so years until we either move or build an addition. I absolutely adore those drawer pulls 😍 thank you SO much for the recommendation!
    ...See More

Desperately need help with this dated living room redesign.

Q

Comments (36)
    I wanted to suggest you try something in your dining room. Move your 2 upholstered chairs from the ends of the table to face each other in the middle, and put 2 wooden chairs on the ends. i would also move the candlesticks to the sideboard and while i know you are trying to update, i think a lace table cloth might look nice on your table And clip on mini shades for the chandelier
    ...See More

Need Help Furnishing Family Room - Does my idea work?

Q

Comments (38)
    "'Which one do you like best?" Honestly, I like the single 5 seater with the two swivel chairs the most because it is open and easy to access. You can always pull chairs in from the dining room table if you need more seating for folks. But the single couch with the two chairs is really nice, balanced and all you will need for your daily use. I do like the couch with the chaise as well for daily use but then I like being able to put my feet up or even recline in the evening while watching TV.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Mova Interiors
    6 years ago

Heres some inspiration. I think the bed should be placed on the blank wall. Place some sort of accent table/nightstand on one side and the poufs on the other. You could also hang curtains on the sides of the bed. Heres a project I recently did like that.

Rita RS thanked Mova Interiors
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

oh you're a very good mother. if I wasn't afraid to offend my Mom-I'd ask you to be mine..))

the budget doesn't sound like a problem?..so I looked up several full size beds for you that seem kinda special..have no idea whether it's your/her style or not? they're all from Anthropologie..which has grown immensely, and delivers any number of furniture items for $149..:) They have many more streamlined, simpler styles as well of course.. I just picked a couple that caught my eye, more bohemian amd elaborate...

(I prefer to put rooms together slowly..also my budget for furniture doesn't allow to do Anthropologie unless it's something smaller as smaller nighstands or a chest..but since they have many styles and sell many brands, with them, it's kinda possible to put together a room that will look more or less collected, to a degree. Look them up. Not everything will be the same quality..read the details, and the reviews..these are very helpful)

the ones like you've shown can be easily bought ready made too, in full size. Check stores like Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware..maybe Ballard Designs. I think Ballard Designs allows for customizing with their fabric/fabric of your choice. Some other stores do too, I can't remember right now the names, I'm sure others will know a couple.

and of course in my case-I go on Craigslist..truth to be told-the full size is harder to get there than any other

so I looked for months when I was searching for full size bed for my DD..it's not that I saw absolutely nothing but what I liked cost like decent ready-made..

in the end I was able to get a very cute and surprizingly well made platform bed on sale from Urban Outfitters..but it doesn't have a headboard..great in our case since the bed overlaps with the window..but you probably prefer a headboard? (I know I do for example since I love reading in bed. depends on a person)

but. if you're ok with queen size-Craigslist can offer amazing choices, really. Very interesting. You can then paint, reupholster, make it hers

same with casegoods

Lights..the sources are infinite. Really.

It would help if you tell us more about her style..

as to where to put the bed..you know sometimes ther's little choice, like with my DD's current room(the previous one was bigger so we could play a bit with the bed placement..not anymore)..but sometimes when you do have a choice-a person will instinctively know somehow..ask your daughter to take a blanket and try several positions in the room..chances are she'll find one that's somehow more comfortable

Rita RS thanked aprilneverends
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

(I spent 15 years sharing a full size bed with my ex, and I didn't even know beds for couples are usualy bigger..so I don't neccessarily find full size beds less relevant in the long term..:) but that's of course totally depends on a person

ah and of course involve her..but if you feel very strongly against something, and it's not a color or something easily changeable-share your opinion..

my daughter got to hate everything she picked that I didn't like from the very beginning..)) She was 14 back then so approximately the same age as yours. But I so wanted to please her I just went with whatever she wanted(of course it was cheap enough..it just was a miss and I could see it but she couldn't then)

so then she started hating it with time, and wanted something else, and told me how right I was, and I had to sell stuff, and whatnot..what a nuisance, and money poorly spent too

Now colors and art and lights and fabrics, it's something else...here, I'd provide advice but let her reign

you probably plan to do the same

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Get a queen size bed at this stage in her life. And include her in ALL the choices, within your budget.

Rita RS thanked Anglophilia
  • decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

Your green paint needs to work with the bedding, so select that once you find the right size and style bed. I agree that a queen will be good for the future when she returns home as a married woman perhaps.

Traditional teenage girl's room, Hillsborough · More Info

Rustic Bedroom · More Info

Traditional Bedroom · More Info

Rita RS thanked decoenthusiaste
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

I'm not sure - do you mean you'll paint a clear green [or the paint is already sort of green].... has she picked a basic hue: yellow-green, green, or blue-green? pastel, muted, or dark...?

Natural Fiber Natural Fiber Area Rug, Rectangle, Green, 5'3"x7'5" · More Info
    Tvilum Scottsdale Nightstand, Truffle · More Info

• everdebz
    6 years ago

MALM 3 drawer chest · More Info

Rita RS thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

To blend with floor, this? and linen fabric headboard?

Louis Philippe Cherry 2 Drawer Night Stand · More Info

Rita RS thanked everdebz
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

I'd say this-at this stage of her life she really needs a very good working/writing desk, to spread out and learn..so I'd make sure to accommodate that if possible. Since 48' desk my DD had was really too small for the task

(now we got a huge desk for our son..that's useful.)

Queen size bed is kinda secondary right now when she's fifteen. Of course why not if everything else fits. But I'd see what the biggest desk could be, to fit in the room comfortably, and go from there.

It's her room, her main space, and she'll need to do tons of studying there..hours of studying. It's a bit different than a bedroom with a main function of sleeping. Make it functional for now..if in ten or so years she marries, that's enough time to rethink the furniture placement.

• torreykm
    6 years ago

I would suggest choosing bedding and window treatment fabric first.

Rita RS thanked torreykm
  • PRO
    Carrell Design And Staging
    6 years ago

I agree with some of the other comments: Get her involved. What is her style? What does she want -- Hollywood glam, Parisian boudoir, urban loft? Is she an athlete? An artist? A movie buff? A gourmand? An Anglophile? A chanteuse? A headbanger?

Is green her favorite color? What's her second favorite color?

Does she want her bed to hang from the ceiling like a swing? or dos she want to have her mattress on the floor?

Does she want a chaise lounge? A study nook? An Alter to Lady Gaga?

I've worked with parents who want to surprise their kids or think the kids really don't understand or don't want to be involved. Parents get the room done and within a year they are changing things because it was the room the parents wanted to give their child, not the room the child wanted for her/himself.

My advise, don't pick anything until you've had a talk with her about what she sees for her room from furniture to fabric, color scheme and layout, style and function.

Rita RS thanked Carrell Design And Staging
  • Rita RS
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow! Thank you all for the ideas.

Many of you mentioned involving her in the process. I asked her in the beginning itself. I think she really doesn't know what she wants. Quite honestly, I don't think she has seen any well put together teenager rooms IRL. I usually show her pictures of what I think she would like and she will then give her opinion. I am guilty of not giving my daughters complete freedom to search online for what they want. I worry that they might really like something which is not practical to get. Happened many times with my younger one.

The only thing she insisted for this room, is to get a full wall mural with a beach theme. I was set on it, but recently I saw a room IRL with the same mural she asked for, and it looked ugly and dated. I told her that and she dropped the idea.

As for the bed, I thought since Full size would be enough for her, why get Queen bed and take up space? But, I see the point of using it for 2 people in the long term.

Also, she is quite tall and would need the leg space. So, I'm guessing Queen is the way to go.

Since there were not many options in Full, I was planning on getting a custom bed. With the wood upholstered bed, I thought we can change the fabric whenever she gets tired of it and wants a change.

• Rita RS
    Original Author
    6 years ago

d_gw, I don't like just walking into Pottery barn and getting matching furniture. I like to go eclectic and take my time looking at sales and consignment. But, I want to finish atleast the basics soon. This has been pending for a long time. She gets attached to her bed and I want her to enjoy her room as much as possible before leaving for college.

aktillery9: That's a lovely room. My kind totally, which is why all the other rooms in our house have that vibe. I want my daughter's to be different from the other rooms. I'll see if it can be done. If not, I could go this route. BTW, she does not like pink at all.

jmm1837, she hates shopping unless if it's for her clothes. She will just pick what she likes from the first store and be done with it. It's better if I prepare a shortlist and ask her to decide.

aprilneverends: I completely can relate to your experience with your daughter. How they pick one thing and sometimes immediately realize they don't like it, say sorry, and move on to the next one.

Thank you for the bed suggestions. I will look into Anthropolgie.

Nataliya, Beautiful bed. Do you have a link to that bed? The curtains idea is cool too. But, I'm afraid there might not be enough space after we add nightstand and desk.

decoenthusiaste & everdebz, the room will not be painted green. I would prefer to keep the current paint. If we have to change it, it will be a light neutral. The fabrics and accessories will be green. Thank you for the nightstand suggestions.

torreykm, the bedding will be white if the bed itself has color. I have complete flexibility with window treatment since they will be custom. My friend has a workroom and she can basically do whatever works in the room.

carrelhouse, her interests change quite frequently. Last year she was totally into basketball. This year she is done with it. The year before she was into guitar and was out of it last year. The only thing she is consistent with is: reading books. She loves lounging with a book in hand. She can spend hours if not interrupted.

• Rita RS
    Original Author
    6 years ago

One thing I want to mention is that: I never had a room of my own growing up. Nor did anyone I knew of. Where I grew up, there is only a kitchen, a living room, and either 1 or 2 bedrooms for the entire family. Now here, all my friends with similar background have separate rooms for their kids. But it's just a bedroom with one bed and maybe a study table. The main purpose is to sleep. This process is not natural to me and so all your comments are helpful.

Thank you for your time.

• Rita RS
    Original Author
    6 years ago

How is this combination:

Green(the green shade of Houzz links and buttons) linen fabric for a similar version of this bed with white bedding:

Nightstand:

Desk:

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

i also love the bed Natalia posted..first, it's gorgeous..second, it's the same idea of my DD's bed..but with the headboard and more upscale:) the legs are very similar. I hope to see the link to it too..just beautiful

ok, since Queen it is..I'll post several links, all different..knowing now you love wood..and that upholstered might be great choice for somebody who loves to read?( I'm like your daughter, very much so..so upholstered headboard is the comfiest in this case)

https://www.onekingslane.com/p/2933364-gray-botany-upholstered-bed.do?refType=&from=fn

https://www.onekingslane.com/p/3994172-charley-poster-bed-natural-white-linen.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&page=7&refType=&from=fn

https://www.onekingslane.com/p/4551631-abel-upholstered-bed-gray-velvet.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&page=7&refType=&from=fn

https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/washed-wood-bed?category=furniture-beds-headboards&color=010

https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/menara-bed2?category=furniture-beds-headboards&color=005&reviewPage=2

https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/minara-printed-woodmere-bed?category=furniture-beds-headboards&color=008

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

as for your combo..love the bed..the desk-question of personal comfort..she's tall-ish..will she have enough space? desks, these are better to try in person.

nightstand..a bit too hard to navigate when one's sleepy?

(like me now lol)

• arcy_gw
    6 years ago

Over a year in the "guest" bedroom. I would believe she has made it her own. Perhaps some pictures of it would show us how she lives..her colors, her level of formality? Most teens don't spend a weekend w/o making it "theirs". I would absolutely follow her lead on this. It may not fit what you want "your" home to be but in the end she will have the room that she calls home. If she is saying otherwise, doesn't really care to be involved--then build another guest room. Three years will go in a blink of an eye and that is where this room will end up.

• jmm1837
    6 years ago

OP - I think we all really appreciate that you've taken the time to respond to us. Not everyone does, so thank you very much for the courtesy.

I can't speak for your daughter, or for anyone else but myself - when I finally got my own bedroom (aged about 14) after years of sharing with my sister, I was adamant that the walls had to be pale blue, and I wanted a desk. And a bed. Other than that, I really didn't care. Mom got the desk, a single bed, and a tall boy type dresser, and that was about the limit of what the room would take. Your daughter's room is a lot bigger, but I'd suggest getting the basics in and not worrying too much about the rest. Bed, desk, dresser, desk chair - done. Oh, and a rug.

After that, leave the room and your daughter to mature.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Definitely get a queen bed and put it on the long wall, not the window wall. I also agree with getting the bed and bedding before choosing the paint color. If the two poufs are staying, can you give us another pic of those? They look like they have some pink or coral but you say your DD doesn't want pink.

Im not a fan of upholstered headboards and with teens, I would be afraid of it getting dirty more easily.

Anthropologie also has some cool bedding, often on sale, so take your DD along there to shop for bedding. It's a bit more 'grown up' than some and might appeal. I also like to use PB quilts in a solid color and then build off that with patterned shams, pillows, and a throw at the bottom. Easy to make the bed too. Find a coordinating fun rug she likes and then the rest will fall into place (desk, lamps, nightstands). A desk with cubbies or shelves above might be good to keep in mind though, especially if she has a collection of things she likes to display.

• smalloldhouse_gw
    6 years ago

I'm on a mission to redo my teenage son's room while he's away next week, so I sympathize. Fwiw, in case the idea of a nice beachy mural still appeals, Anthropologie has beautiful murals, including one that's vaguely beachy.

I did a full wall world map mural on my son's wall when he was younger and it's been a nice timeless focal point. One lesson learned, if you do a mural get a professional!

Anthropologie mural

• PRO
    6 years ago

Rita RS, Thank you for the info on your daughter's interest. If she love books, how about making her room into a cozy library. Create a window seat with storage and books around, like the photo below.

Traditional Bedroom · More Info

Based on how the room looks now, this could be an option as well:

New England Farm · More Info

Instead of the closets on each side use bookshelves.

I've fallen in love with this piece because it's very versatile, a day bed that looks like a sofa.

RH Teen. Available in Twin, Full and Queen. But there are other daybeds out there that look similar. Change the bedding and you change the look of the room to go with her changing interests.

For studying I recommend a hidden desk.. Here are a few options:

• PRO
    6 years ago

If she wants a "beachy" feel in her room, rather than a wall mural try a floor decal like this:

There's a variety available in many sizes, including custom sizes.

Also, you might want to go with nautical/beach colors, like sand, navy blue, Caribbean blue, seafoam green, coral, etc.

This may not be a traditional approach, but you said you wanted different and I think this would be fun for her.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

Love Anthropologie murals..for myself, I want the one by Rebecca Rebouche..the fairy tale one..I'm just too shy to get it, in my mature age lol. It's more fitting for a nursery. And can't think of a wall to put it..But yes, it's my favorite.

..When I was a teen, nobody asked me anything. I had no idea I'm even to have an opinion about my room(which wasn't completely mine..I shared with my brother until he left for college. I missed him tremendously. ) Nobody asked me whether I'd like a study nook-all the room looked like a study:) With two sleeping nooks..

I loved our huge, no exaggeration, desk. I loved being surrounded by books. I still love being surrounded by books..I don't like clutter, but books never feel like that to me. They're allowed to be everywhere; they're exception.

It's not like I didn't express myself in other ways..:) I secretly smoked, and wrote questionable poems, and was almost constantly in love..

It'd be cool if they asked me; but since I didn't know that back then I was fine. I wasn't adamant about anything room-related-that's simply wasn't like that in our family. Only Grandma got to be adamant about decor)) Luckily she had a great taste..

But look at me now though-now, I'm having a blast..:)

All families are..ok ok I'll save you from Tolstoy's citation..:)

Rita, I want to echo jmm..we really appreciate you answering and telling us some more about your daughter and het tastes and what's important to her, and listening to all the opinions..it's not automatically that people who ask questions also provide a feedback and the conversation is becoming what it's supposed to be-a conversation..

so thank you..

it is fascinating, to read other answers and find out both striking similarities, and gaps in mentality, and everything that rings different and everything that feels the same. And it's nostalgic, of course. Hence my going a bit down the memory lane..

I hope you forgive me my OT

I do think that the nightstand you've shown yesterday is in a dissonance with other pieces, besides being a bit difficult to navigate(would be cool to store craft supply)..I love to mix and match, I'm very eclectic, for the lack of the better word, but it's too artificially distressed..was it a true vintage, it would look cool, but it's made to look like vintage and made to look like rustic, and I think it will make it stand out not in a good way. I'd look then for something truly older..and not too artificially distressed.

and just for fun..unfortunately this one is pink, but Deny designs who makes these has tons, of different artist' works applied to furnishings, beddding, etc. I can't attest to the quality..but it might be interesting for you and your girl to choose together

(unfortunately these are credenzas not nightstands..I'd like drawers more..

here..I made a search on "green"

https://www.denydesigns.com/collections/credenza/pc-green

they have bedding and whatnot too

I do love Anthropologie bedding as well. I love their quilts-very easy to make a bed indeed.

In short(said she after writing ginormous post)..that's a cool journey ahead of you both. Enjoy it!!

• deegw
    6 years ago

Your choices are very pretty but they seem all over the place style wise. The bed is glam, the desk is transitional and the night stand is more industrial. Since you have the budget for custom, have you considered a meeting with you, your daughter and a decorator? The process should enjoyable and you sound stressed and pressured in your posts. A good decorator can hone in on your daughter's needs and style and do the heavy lifting part of shopping and styling the room.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

I love hidden desks..have one myself ..but I don't believe they're enough when one has to spend hours on studying, writing essays, have tons of books and notes in front of them..they're enough for writing letters, running a small home office..they won't cut it when it comes to years of studying for hours every day. And one will be studying for hours every day. And it will be crazy hours.

A good sized comfortable(and that will be very personal..I for example need space for legs...) desk should be a priority..unless of course one has dedicated office or den or another room for studying...

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Would she like something like this?

Mural

• smalloldhouse_gw
    6 years ago

You're getting tons of great advice here, which I'm shamelessly cribbing for my own teenager bedroom redo. Once a year I have the house to myself for a week and I try to do big projects; this one is the kids' rooms. I'm giving them input; basically copying photos of beds, duvet covers, chairs, etc into Paint so that they can just point to the ones they like best. (That gives them some sense of control but lets me limit their choices too!)

I agree a billion times around the window seat or some other nice lounge-like perch for reading. The RH daybeds look amazing in the same vein.

Oh, and since I'm madly ordering myself today, here's another nice (imho) not-tacky beach-y mural, this time a bit smaller: PBK mural

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

justerrilynn some of your pics bring to mind Serena and Lily? another great website to check..very clean relaxing look. less mine, personally..but I admire many of their things anyway..and there's something of the sea and sand about them all..

ah, and Rita, where you grew up, sounds a lot like where I grew up..:) So I wonder..

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Yep you are right April! I was surprised to see this yellow leather bedroom pillow on there. A nice bit of color for a teen.

The mural though is from Design Your Wall. You can customize! I picked that particular one because the op mentioned she wanted green walls and this has some green-ish. Plus, it might get along a bit better with the floor color compared to other beach scenes. https://www.designyourwall.com/products?utf8=✓&keywords=Beach+mural+

Edited to add: for those that like printed drawers like April above...this site is great because you can customize using inexpensive IKEA stuff. Scroll down to "Printed Doors" near bottom.

https://www.semihandmadedoors.com/pages/material-choices

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

oh justerrilynn I'm happy I guessed right then!

I'll check Semihandmade..they didn't have that option a while back..as far as I remember..seems cool

and I love the idea of a window seat and bookshelves..like carellhouse suggested..love it a lot. It's more work for sure though, probably involving carpenter and all. But the idea, at least to me, is sublime..

I love sofa beds..the one from RH will be huge..but the idea is great. maybe less important when queen size though. queen size is so obviously sleeping dimensions, it matters less. but with the Full size would look cool

( I went myself with smth like this for DS's room..only his is twin lol..he was very pleased and said "it feels so adult!" there, one can really sit and lounge..important when you have restricted space that has to be multi-functional)

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

(sorry for being present so much..it's just that Anthropologie has 20% off today..so I went to look at tees..and saw this bed on sale by Tracey Boyd..a tad elaborate of course, but I like it being platform..

https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/draped-garland-bed?category=sale-home&color=011

and another one ..over the top but also platform..the reviews are many..and good

https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/handcarved-lotus-bed-001?category=sale-home&color=001

ok..back to the tees lol)

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

What a beautiful room this will be!! You are a wonderful mother putting so much thought and effort into this project.

I could not possibly add anything to the decorating part of the conversation. You all rock.

• phuninthesun
    6 years ago

Rita RS You said above that your daughter liked a certain wall mural. When you told her that it was ugly and dated, she let it drop. Do you see what happened there? If you want your daughter to truly love her room, try not to veto her choices. Her room does not have to be "in trend", it just has to make HER happy when she enters the room. After all, it's not permanent. I used to do this with my children. Now that they are adults they told me that it was just easier to let me do what I wanted. That may not be the case here, but just something to think about.

Since you said she like to go clothing shopping, go to her closet for inspiration. Does she wear florals, stripes, casual boho style, use her colors! Have fun!

• jansgirl
    6 years ago

I was going to say the same thing phuninthesun just said above. Let it be her room if you want it to be her room.

• er612
    6 years ago

Are the poufs pink and orange?

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

When I was about 12. in 1980, I went to a school without a uniform for the first time. My mother gave me a budget of $500 to spend as I wished on clothing. I was thrilled. I went to the store and bought whatever caught my eye and did not consult my mother once. Turns out half of my decisions were pretty poorly made and on the whole I failed to think about how a wardrobe must work together cohesively from piece to piece, not just one outfit. From the time I realized my mistake (which was pretty fast,) I never again bought things without a thorough consultation with my mother.

It must be noted my mother had about 1000 times more style and chic than I have and she was no dummy. She had no intention of arguing with me about every little thing. She set me up to see what my limitations were and I learned a great lesson.

• Rita RS
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all again.

Lots of suggestions. I never knew about beds at Anthropologie and OneKingsLane. I will sit with her this weekend to figure out which ones she likes. I liked a few at Ballard Designs as well.

arcy_gw: She is currently in the guest bedroom. It's a plain white bed and solid white/cream bedding. Just a night stand and table lamp (temporary ones) that I moved there recently. Her bed is surrounded by books lying on the ground.

Now that I'm thinking more and comparing her to her younger sister, she doesn't care much about what's in the room. My younger one demanded she wants a canopy bed, desk etc and got everything she wanted as soon as we moved in.

Many of you suggested bench seating. The room already has the option. I was going to bring that up eventually after the main ones are done.

Close-up picture of the poufs. They have white, green, orange, blue etc. Definitely no pink.

aprilneverends: I'm happy that you are present here. Thanks for sharing the stories, We've all been there. Good luck with Anthropologie tees hunt.

Looks like the consensus is that the nightstand doesn't fit in the room.

justerrilynn: the semihandmadedoors site is so cool. I'm going to see if we can use it someplace. I love Serena & Lily, especially that Balboa bed. But it is more than I would like to spend right now.

The custom bed is not as expensive as I thought it would be. It's coming to around $1200. Ofcourse, the fabric insert would be DIY. The woodworking firm is very reputable. I was leaning towards this option because my daughter liked that bed and I liked the option of being able to change the fabric when she gets bored or if it gets dirty. Again, she may have been influenced because she didn't see many options.

I bought this Uttermost art long back and she liked it very much.

She has a mature taste and is generally a very practical person.

I will bring up the mural idea and see what she says. If she wants it, then it's a go.

• Indigo Rose
    6 years ago

I've just been following along with not much to add except that a bookcase or shelves would be a nice addition. But I am confused. Maybe my computer is off, but of the close-up of the poufs just above, I see a significant amount of pink, especially in the lower one, although you say there is none. ? Is it just me?

• phuninthesun
    6 years ago

They look like they have alot of pink to me as well. I really like the poufs!

• lazy_gardens
    6 years ago

She also needs bookcases. And a reading chair under the window. Students gotta read!

I second and third the suggestion to get her deeply involved. Most of what I learned about home decor and shopping was from my mom because I helped her decorate the house.

Budget might not be "a problem" for the family finances, but if you set one and stay in it, she'll learn a lot that will help her in college and later.

• tfitz1006
    6 years ago

Are you near an ikea?

• er612
    6 years ago

Wallpaper from Anthropologie for wall behind the bed...

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Anything new? :)

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

For what it's worth. Both my kids used their desks as dumping grounds for everything but homework. Once they started doing homework in their rooms, they did it in their bed (DD) or a small sofa (DS).

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    6 years ago

I was going to say what nosoccermom said. My DD's rarely used a desk other than to stack things on. They say on their bed with their computer and did their homework. You know your daughter, will she use a desk or do you think she needs one?

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

My DD rarely used a desk-partially precisely because the desk was too small and thus pointless. So yes, she stayed a lot in her bed..but when she needed to really work on something big (which she needed more and more as years went by)she would come and occupy half the dining table. And we all tip toed around her, obviously, because she needed to concentrate and all. And it would be for hours. I was totally fine with it; but I knew for sure was not easy for my MIL who likes to take her foods slowly, very slowly, and listen to the radio there, and whatnot. I constantly felt guilty about them both..:)

My DS who since then, upon me observing that sad sitution, got a big normal desk uses it a lot

of course it depends on what you are preparing for, in the moment.

I'm also a bed kinda person. Very much so.

But when you need to have several books open around you to compare and analyze, and to make notes, etcetera-you plainly won't have enough space in your bed to do that

Or if you need to do an art project it has to be a table, or a floor.

(if I give wrong perception about my kids being a lot into art and humanities-nah, they're not really..they like it but they double(d) on sciences and all. Still whatever courses you have or choose to have-if serious enough, sooner or later you'll need a surface capable of holding several open books around you

Can be floor of course:) But when one needs to write at the same time..

One thing if it happens once in a blue moon

another thing if you have to do it most nights.

My daugher stayed a bed person, yet she goes a lot to the library, because it's college, and the desk they've got there in dorms is too small, and you find yourself in the library a lot, and everyone does, and not only because they've got books you need. Frankly our dorms had better desks. Narrower, less drawers etc, but you could write there. Here-exactly, will turn to dumping surface. Since it's not a study desk. It's a quazi study desk..)