SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lylaloveshydrangea

Long time no post, updated garden photos

Lyla Zone 7b/8a
6 years ago

Hi guys! I have been absent for months, I know. Got busy out in the garden and then it got too hot to garden and I keep running out of money to do all I want to do (don't ya hate when that happens?!) At this point it has gotten to a slow crawl in progress because 1. money and 2. lack of availability of materials like boxwoods and roses.

I am trying my best to stick to only buying the 'bones' of my garden and not buy annuals but it is so so hard! I cave all. the. time.

If you will recall back in the beginning of February I had started mapping out just doing a strip of boxwoods along the edge of my patio, but after seeing a gorgeous picture of a mansions backyard on Houzz I got inspired to replicate the feel on a much, MUCH smaller scale and after getting quotes of a couple grand to have bermuda sod removed by pros (because I really, REALLY didn't wanna do it) I realized I had to do it myself. SO I rented what must have been the most ancient sod cutter in the world from HD and after using it for a few hours with little progress decided I had to scale back my grand plans. A lot. So the hill behind my house and the sides of my fence did not get done. I might try again in the Fall.

Here is what it looked like in the beginning of February:

And then the beginning of March after removing the sod:

April you will notice both sides are not perfectly even, that is because the slope/hill behind the house comes out unevenly and from *most* perspectives it looked best to not cut into the hill on the left side. So the left is a foot less deep then the right. The other issue skewing the left side to be smaller is that the fountain is centered between the four windows but the middle of the walkway is not so I either had to skew the planting beds off from the obviously centered fountain or do what I ended up doing, and cutting the left side short, again.

May(I stopped taking pics of the whole garden, not sure why)Earth Angel in front and to the right, Love Song behind that, two Plum Perfects b the pillar, and then Darcy Brussel and Angel Face):

Skip to this month:

I am slowly trying to trim the boxwoods to the same height and width. The weeping willow in the middle planter got shovel pruned, no matter how much water I gave it it would die down and then come back over and over. I finally got sick of it and replaced it with a little gem magnolia. I was pleasantly surprised that despite building the middle planting area out of scraps of bermuda sod wrapped in landscape fabric I have yet to see a single bit of bermuda pop up in there.

I also did a test between the two sides, on one side I tilled the flip out of it with a giant tiller after sod removal(right), on the other I did not(left). I wanted to see which I would have more straggler bermuda issues with. It turns out the one I didn't till has more stragglers pop up. However, the one I DID till has terrible drainage issues. I lost my first limelight standard to root rot and didn't realize the issue until I pulled it out and it was in a bathtub. I had to build up the area to improve drainage. I think the problem was I didn't till the entire yard, and it is sloped, so once water reaches the end of the tilled area it just stay there. I amend with compost and mulch to all the beds as much as I can but of course time is going to be the real solution for my crappy pottery-making construction-equipment-compacted clay soil.

I want to envelope the whole planting area with boxwoods but I can no longer find good specimens, I have some Lowes gift cards but lately their shipments have been teeny tiny and spindly. No thanks.

The roses are doing okay-ish. When J&P had their big sale I bought four PJPII's and of course kicked myself for not buying more, they seem to be doing the absolute best with the heat and the rain and the insects. I remember when I got them in they were dormant for what felt like weeks and I was mad at myself for buying roses so late in the season but then, out of the blue, they took off. They are in the back of this photo, the rose on the left in the front is Plum Perfect, which has been doing better than most but not a blooming machine. I attribute this to the less than stellar soil conditions.

I may end up yanking everything but PJPII and filling the bed to the brim with them. Earth Angel is lovely when it blooms but thrips, midge, JBs all love it and the blooms seem to blow quickly when they are successful. Love Song is a blackspotted mess. Darcy Brussel steals my heart when she blooms, but she too has terrible BS. I will give them one more season I think and then decide. At my last house my Eden rose bloomed from the get-go, tons of blooms, and I had planted it as a body bag. This time it has plenty of growth but zero blooms, I am blaming my soil for now. It will most likely be replaced with quicksilver though.

That ratchet back hill though. I can't even. It overwhelms me, it is so steep, and not at all even, and I hate the view out of my back window. Ii know what I want to plant there but the sod cutter was too dangerous to use on the slope even sideways and having to live with it all gross and ugly while I kill it with roundup is terrible, using landscape fabric and mulch won't work because the mulch will slide right down the landscape fabric. I got a quote to have a retaining wall put in and they wanted $19k. My husband grumbles when I spend $100 on garden stuff, $19k is just not happening. I planted Leylands at the top because as lovely as the trees are behind my fence, it is completely within the realm of possibility for our development to be extended back there one day and the trees to be gone *sobs uncontrollably*. There is a very lovely old widow lady who lives there and she sold the land our development is on and gave the developer first rights when she passes on to buy the property her house is on, behind me. I want to extend the planting area to just above the base of the slope and put in limelight standard and crape myrtles all the way across.

Comments (22)