SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annapolitanzone7a

Will "Miami" Crape Myrtle grow in zone 7A (Maryland)?

Annapolitan (Zone 7A)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I live near Annapolis, MD (Zone 7a) and am interested in planting a couple of the "Miami" Crape Myrtles in our Southern-facing front yard, on a little bit of a slope, that gets lots of full sun. I really like the Miami's: (1) color (dark pink, almost red) and (2) the darker brown exfoliating bark; as compared to some of the other large crape myrtles.

ONLINE SEARCH
I looked online and have had trouble finding them for sale. A few websites listed them as being in stock but when I called, they said they don't have any. I found one seller on Etsy that lists them as in-stock but was generally surprised at how uncommon this species is.

LOCAL NURSERIES SEARCH
I called several local nurseries in my area and most had never heard of the "Miami" cultivar. Of the few who knew of the "Miami", they offered to look into it with their various suppliers and none have had any luck so far. The only nursery that does have them in stock only has some 15+ foot specimens, which were several hundred dollars each; too rich for my blood. Another nursery a few miles from this one indicated that they don't carry them because the "Miami" cultivar is not appropriate for our (7a) climate-- he then said it is called "Miami" for a reason, it's for the South-- and they don't carry it.

My questions are:

1. Anyone in this area/zone have any experience (good or bad) with the "Miami"?

2. Anyone know of a reliable place online to purchase a few? Or, a nursery in this area that carries them?

3. I have read wildly varying numbers for the tree's mature height/width, many (including the USNA) say up to 25 feet, while many other sites list the mature height/width at ~10-15 feet. Can anyone clarify?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH