SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acarsme

Crape Myrtle questions

acarsme
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello,

I really want to cut down my pear tree in my front yard. I'm not sure what kind of pear tree it is, but I think maybe a Kieffer. The main reason I want it gone is because I can't stand the fruit and how it draws wasps and then the rotting fruit on the ground starts to ferment (If I don't get out to pick them up). I'm really interested in planting a crape myrtle, but I'm confused over the information I am finding on the internet

I'm interested in a tree that is about the same height/width as the existing pear tree.

I think I've narrowed it down to a Natchez or Miami variety.....however when I search the internet I get a wide variety of information about just how big, especially the Natchez will get. I've seen information stating 20 ft tall, but I've seen pages listing up to 30 ft tall. I think my current pear tree is about 20 ft tall as a guess.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on how big I can expect either of these varieties to get, especially compared to my existing pear tree?

Also, I am interested in the peeling bark on these trees, but my wife says cleaning up the bark might be a pain......from the pictures I've seen it looks like the bark is almost paper thin.....can you normally just mow over this bark when it's on the ground, or does it have to be cleaned up by hand?

Thanks.

Comments (43)