SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
akakizzy

Crape Myrtle Question

akakizzy
13 years ago

Hello all! New member here, I was hoping to get some help out there about my crape myrtles. I planted 2 in my front yard about 3 years ago, they were about 4 feet tall at planting. They get full sun, infact, they are the only trees in the front yard at all. They did very well the first year and then completely died back in the winter. What was left of the trunks broke off until they were about 8-10 inches tall. The second year the shooters came back and they got to about 2 feet tall and were blooming, when someone (I figure it was one of the kids in the neighborhood) decided to break them all off... I went out one day and they were crushed and pulled off. This past winter they completely died down into the ground again and right now I have shooters about 6 inches tall. My question is, will these recover? I am in Abilene, Tx, which is around Zone 6/7. I'm just wondering what I can do to help them thrive this year and if they will ever be full grown trees or should I just go ahead and pull them up. I am unsure of the exact variety, the blooms are a gorgeous red, so I would love to keep them, if they will make it. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comment (1)