SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flyinghumanoid

Solve Crape Murder.... or Relocate Crape Myrtle

6 years ago

Hi Everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have inherited a crape myrtle that has seen its share of crape murder. It's my first experience with a crape myrtle so I did quite a bit of research before I decided to start pruning. I began doing recommended pruning yesterday afternoon of lower branches and dead trunks from improper previous pruning. Now I can actually see how bad of shape this thing is in. Healthy, but UGLY. Here is a picture of how it currently sits. Post continued below.

Crepe Murder! · More Info

As you can tell I have my work cut out for me to get this back into a properly pruned crape myrtle. Might not even be possible. Another thing is that I don't exactly like it being this close to the house. Not sure about this particular tree's root system, but typically roots and foundations do not mix. (Continued)

Most of what I have cut out here was actually dead. Literally murdered! I got what i could with the loppers, but will need to break out the saw to perform some closer surgery. (Continued)

Once I cut away the obvious limbs I could more clearly see how bad this thing looks. It appears it was improperly pruned most if not all of its life. The extended cutoffs will be removed closer to the tree with the saw. (Continued)

There are a few trunks that have fused together. I have no clue what to do there.

From first observations it seems there really isn't much I can do to turn this back into a proper crape myrtle. I can't pick out any definite trunks to remove/keep to give it the nice vase shape it deserves.

So there are only three options I can think of. Removal, relocation and stay ugly, or hope to repair from everyone's knowledge on here. Maybe a combination of all three?

I do have a place in the backyard where there was a trampoline that is landscaped and now empty. I was planning on grassing that area, but it might be a nice place to relocate this monster.

All input is appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (16)