SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bardzil

Island slightly too large for most countertops- should i make smaller?

bardzil
6 years ago

My island currently requires a countertop slab measuring 135" x 60.5". This length eliminates quartz products and most natural stone without having a seam. I definitely don't want a seam.

My island has a 33" sink in the middle, two dishwashers on either side, and then 2 21" base cabinets on the ends. We had planned for one of the 21" base cabinets to be drawers and the other to be a trash pullout. The paneled "ends" of the island measure 3" each. Total length of cabinetry is 129" and fabricator says slab must be 135" long.

In order to shorten my island a few inches, I could consider reducing the 21" base cabinets to 18", which would reduce the overall island length by 6". If I do this, then I should only need a 129" x 60.5" slab. I would have more options with this size including Cambria quartz and more natural stone options as well.

My question is whether 18" will be adequate for the trash pullout and drawer stack or would it really be much better to keep the 21"? I was going to keep silverware in the drop drawer of the drawer stack. If I keep the 21" base cabinets, then countertops will either have to have a seem or a giant slab of natural stone (which is hard to find).

What is ideal size for trash pullout between 18" and 21"? Will I really miss the extra 3" in the drawers?

Comments (23)