SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

Carving out space for a mudroom - will it ruin my layout?

We have been living in our current home for a year and have learned a lot about what we love and what we don't. I'm happy to say that the love column is much longer than the don't love column, and fortunately most of the don't loves are fairly easy/cosmetic fixes. However, there is one thing that drives me nuts on the regular, and that is the fact that the back entrance to the house comes directly into my kitchen, with no mudroom/entryway or closet nearby (actually, there is very little storage of any type on the first floor). This issue is exacerbated by the fact that the driveway/parking is in the back of the house, so we enter that way frequently. Consequently, my kitchen floors are always a mess, and the kitchen is always cluttered with shoes, bags, etc. Further adding to the mess is the fact that my W/D is located in the kitchen, right next to the back entrance.

Anyway, the current kitchen is fairly large, but I don't love the layout - it's basically a box, but I only get one full side of counters/cabs because of the entrance and laundry. I added a moveable island to help with efficiency but it's still not ideal. There is an adjacent powder room that could also be reconfigured to allow for a small mudroom if I stole some space from the kitchen. Not sure if this is even possible, depending on which walls are load-bearing, but if it were, we'd go from this, our current layout:

To something like this, which steals about 2 feet of space from the kitchen:

I'm not sure how ideal it is to have to walk from the mudroom into the dining room (via a pocket door or other type of entrance, but I like that idea better than going into the kitchen. It would also mean giving up the little bar area we have in the dining room, which I do like, but the dining room is enormous and we could easily put a bar area in one of the other corners. This would also effectively turn the kitchen into a galley, which I honestly think I would probably prefer to what I have now (I am a solo cook 99% of the time, and we don't really care about having a seating or viewing area in the kitchen). I am also assuming that the mudroom would be large enough to house the W/D, since I really don't want to move it down to the grungy basement.

Anyway, I would really appreciate your thoughts! We are in the midst of doing some exterior maintenance and have been debating a kitchen refresh as well, but it seems silly to do those things if we are just going to turn around and try for something more substantial in short order. Thanks!

Comments (18)