SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heather5551212

Need advice on well water filtration

Heather
6 years ago

We moved into a house with a very old well (we think around 60-70 years old). The well is non-standard 8.5" diameter and isn't capped properly. The water tank is an old redwood tank on its last legs (it's also the same age). We had a nasty winter with over 100" of rain and the water has extra sediment. It's bad. The filter in the tank is new (about 6 months old) as is the UV bulb system (the bulb went out already and our well guy replaced it free). We also have a whole house water filter in the pump house. We're experiencing clogged water filters every 2-4 weeks instead of the usual 2-3 months. We know the redwood tank will not survive a drain and clean out, so we'll have to just bite the bullet and replace the tank. The situation caused the pressure pump to trip the circuit breaker (this pump is also ancient). We cleaned the pump out and put it back together and it's working. However, our well guy says our pump won't work our fire sprinklers. I also feel that we're overly dependent on a well guy who's so busy he's scheduling work out 2-4 weeks. That's a long time to go without water. Can anyone suggest some resources that we can use to design a better water system that we can maintain? I need to know what type of pump we should purchase (currently have a 1 hp) and if we need a better filtration system. I've been going through a ton of whole house filters (GE standard ones).

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH