SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lesliew_gw

Need advice on pond filtration

lesliew
16 years ago

We had a pond built this past Fall, roughly 1500 gallons with a three tier waterfall. The company who built it did not feel we needed any filtration other than a UV filter. He was not alone, half the estimates we got were without filtration ( for various reasons) and half with.

We have a 4800 gph pump hidden well at the bottom under rocks. Other than an algae bloom this Spring which we took care of, the water appears clear, although slightly off color. When we pulled out a cup of water to check color, it was only slightly less than totally clear, a little lemony looking. Obviously, we have no way of cleaning out debris, so we know that in a year or so, we will need emptying, cleaning, and refilling.

We have stocked it only with inexpensive goldfish, which dwindle in numbers from time to time, but a motion detector camera has not picked up on any visitors. We have floated about 60 water hyacinth on the surface to give the fish some cover, even though we have about a 30" depth at the deepest, and plenty of shelf and rock areas to hide in. We lost one small goldfish a few weeks ago, with no visible signs of illness. It was lying at the bottom of the pond on its side until it finally died. I now see one goldfish which appears to have what look like a couple of open sores on its body - bacterial infection? I ordered a couple of bacterial remedies today. Test kit shows the water to be okay.

I am questioning whether we should add biological filtration, at the least. Most of the companies we spoke to do not like mechanical filters, and say they do not do a great job, and get clogged. There is no way we are going to be able to take anything apart here, to add to the existing pump. We wouldn't even attempt it. If we buy a bio filter, I assume we would then need an extra pump? The other question is how to camouflage it, since they are all fairly imposing looking. With the present setup, there is no visible pump or plumbing, or even wiring. Everything has been hidden.

Only other option is to wait till we need to clean and refill, and have the company which built it add to the present system. By that time, we may have no fish at all. Any advice would be welcomed.

Comments (5)