SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rwiegand

Mason jar quality?

rwiegand
6 years ago

I normally hang out over in the homebuilding/remodeling forms, so I hope this is the right place for this.

I've just been through the frustrating experience of losing several jars of peaches to thermal shock. I've been using the same cold pack method for a little more than 50 years and I lost perhaps one jar of cold pack tomatoes and one of hot pack applesauce over that time. It basically never happened. I would humbly assert my technique has worked fine through a few thousand jars of peaches, cherries, tomatoes, apples, and other oddball stuff. I've dropped a few, but can't blame the jar for that!

Last year I decided to splurge on some new jars to supplement the ancient ones I've used all these years and the sundry garage sale additions made over the years, and suddenly I have a rash of broken jars. Perhaps seven of the two dozen new ones have broken when going into the hot water bath. Did Ball move the manufacturing to China and go to lower quality materials? Are others having this experience? It really takes the fun out of canning.

Most importantly, is there a source for higher quality jars? Seems they could be made from borosilicate glass for another couple bucks a case and eliminate this issue.

Comments (4)