SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enchantedrosez5bma

Dyna-gro Pro-tek or Maxicrop for rose midge?

enchantedrosez5bma
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I was reading a post by CoriAnn on how she uses Pro-tek to strengthen her roses against the heat. I was curious as to what this was and found this info at a Dyna-gro dealer site.

"Pro-TeKt 0-0-3 The Silicon Solution liquid supplement supplies higher levels of potassium and silicon to help plants build stronger cell walls. The stronger cell walls provide a Pro-TeKt-ive barrier against piercing-sucking insects and invading fungi. Applying Pro-TeKt 0-0-3 on a regular basis will minimize or eliminate the need for pesticides and fungicides. Additional benefits include increased stem strength and leaf positioning of plants, which improves photosynthesis; increased heat, drought and cold tolerance, plus longer lasting leaves and blooms. Use Pro-TeKt 0-0-3 as a supplement with any fertilizer to provide non-toxic preventative protection against fungal infections and insect infestations. Recommended for all plants."

Has anyone tried this? Maxicrop is 0-0-17 so much more potassium than Pro-tek. I don't know if it has silicon though. I know Paul Zimmerman recommends a high potassium application in late summer/ early fall to help roses through the winter in cold climates but don't know if it would help with rose midge and aphids.

Star Gazer Perennials/Fresh Garden Living owner Karyn told me she uses Maxicrop on all her plants. "They (Kordes varieties) have all been blooming for me this summer in their tube pots. I feed them Maxicrop and we use a Mycorrhizal mix in our soil - perhaps that's what makes them so happy. The Crazy Love roses that I sent you have a bloom on them, so enjoy!" I replied "I do use mycorrhizal to develop roots. I usually just use Rosetone or Tomatotone. Maxi-crop is just potassium? Do you use only this on your gardens too or do you use an NPK fertilizer?"

Karyn's response- "Maxicrop is a liquid based kelp product. On my garden I till in a variety of organic amendments and then use a slow release organic fertilizer at the start of the season. My property all slopes gradually downhill to a river that bisects my farm, therefore I am blessed with really good draining ancient river bottom soil. My pH is close to neutral. During the summer I use Maxicrop every 3 weeks + / - depending on how busy I am."

She's in Oregon so maybe rose midge isn't a problem but I'm wondering if this could help. It seems so simple but sometimes we overlook the simple solutions. I'm ordering some of both to try it out> At the least it will help strengthen my roses for the coming, dare I say it, winter.

Sharon

Comments (36)