SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpyle1

Uneven Backyard Landscape w/Clay Soil - Want to Convert Half of Grass

Pumpkee
6 years ago

Uneven Backyard Landscape w/Clay Soil

Location: SE MIchigan - Heavy Clay Soil in city of Berkley. Yard was never properly graded. Flooding history in area.

Goal: Create grade that allows drainage away from foundation and soil amendment. Create half of backyard to become a garden space w/rich soil.

Plan: Layer/Lasagna Mulching to allow half of lowered/uneven landscape to develop rich amended soil for drainage and allow less grass and more garden area in backyard.

Question: I've read adding sand mix is bad to soil in any layers mentioned in this goal. I've read it is best to loosen compacted soil w/spade (if only tool, it's a small backyard), wet, then add soil w/compost, then begin layering w/cardboard (wet down) then add additional layers of compost, with green and brown compost (ie nitrogen - coffee grounds, grass cuttings, leaf compost shredded). I get the need to loosen clay compacted soil, but i also know that amending is not as complicated as it is broad casted to be. No Till method that will take time in amending.

Any insights, tips, suggestions knowing the goal is to protect foundation w/very old clay soil affecting an older home - much appreciated w/the big picture noted!

(Note - this area has many tree's growing in chain link fences! Ugh -see one in the back w/neighbors lovely overgrowth of weeds)

Thank you kindly in advance! I look forward to reading all the suggestions!

Comments (8)