SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oneiric_gw

Very wet soil problem in backyard!

Oneiric
9 years ago

Hey guys, I'm still new to these forums and I was hoping to get some help with this problem!

The lawn in question is the side lawns and back yard of my parent's home. When I was living there, I remembered that the side lawns were always very muddy and wet long after rains, and the back yard would also be very wet with water collecting on top of the concrete area in front of the sliding door to the basement. I think a couple of houses drain water to our yard, which is then supposed to drain the water into a smallish ditch. A small river forms after a rain that leads to the ditch/creek area in/near the woods, but the water would always pool up near and on top of the concrete and cause extremely muddy ground conditions.

Heavy rains didn't cause flooding in the basement, but after a heavy snow, the melting water would sometimes cause flooding. My father and I believe that this was because of a combination of the poor drainage in our yard plus an excess of melted snow water from our neighbor's house after she would shovel a path in the snow to allow water to flow off of her yard and then to ours. This would then usually prompt us to similarly shovel a trench from the concrete portion outside the basement down towards the aforementioned ditch.

In the past years, my parents were renting out the house, and the tenants have recently left the house, but the lawn is a total mess. Since we will already be doing considerable work on the house/yard (including possibly killing off the back yard, tilling the soil and adding sand/compost if needed, and reseeding with new grass seed) I wanted to attempt to fix this problem, while also trying to drain out our side and back yards better, reducing the muddy terrain.

I tried doing some research, and at first it looked like a french trench would be a suitable solution, but I just wanted to make sure by asking the pros here on this forum!

Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures on hand, but will be able to take plenty of pictures on saturday. Hopefully, though, my description will give a good enough idea of the problem that some people might be able to throw me some tips!

Thanks in advance for your help guys!
-Alex

Comments (9)