SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spedigrees

Questions about Garden Pests

spedigrees z4VT
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Can anyone answer these questions? In recent weeks I have resorted to using a drowning bucket to rid my roses and other plants from the evil Japanese beetles. The bodies in the bucket are piling up. I would like to just dump the corpses out into the weeds for convenience's sake, but I have heard that eggs inside these dead beetles can actually hatch out. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Another question I'm turning over in my mind is whether or not seeds harvested from plants afflicted with powdery mildew (but not killed by it) will propagate the mildew in new plants grown from those seeds. I've decided to use seeds from a previous, non-mildew-y year, but I'm just wondering...

I'm also planning NOT to plant poppies in the veggie patch next year, as they fell victim early on to mildew while all the other garden plants flourished, apparently immune to the mildew. I burned the diseased plants and my strategy is to try to eradicate the mildew from the soil. The odd thing is that my summer squash and sunflowers that are normally tinged but not killed by powdery mildew are completely unaffected this year. A part of me wonders if the poppies absorbed all the bad ju-ju, and all the mildew went to these seemingly defenseless victims. Perhaps I'm going at this wrong and should plant a few poppies in the vegetable garden next year as sacrificial martyrs to protect the other plants.

Comments (8)