SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19039753

Lemon Blueberry Scuffins

User
6 years ago

I found this recipe in Tate's Bake Shop Cookbook. Only it was Vegan and my version isn't! It's a cross between a muffin and a scone but they are more scone like than muffin like. I love the hint of rosemary in the glaze.

LEMON BLUEBERRY SCUFFINS

Scuffins

2 1/2 c. flour

1/3 c. sugar

1 T. baking powder

1/4 t. salt

8 T. cold butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes

1/2 c. milk

1/4 c. lemon juice

Grated zest of 1 lemon

1 cup fresh (or frozen not thawed) blueberries

In the bowl of a food processor, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix in the cold butter until the mixture is crumbly with some pea sized pieces of butter. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, lemon juice and lemon zest. Freeze the flour and water mixtures in their separate bowls for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile heat the oven to 425. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat.

Add the blueberries to the flour mixture and toss to coat. Stir in the water mixture. It will seem dry. Turn it out on a work surface and knead gently until it comes together. Do not overwork. Pat into a 1 inch thick disk. Cut into 6 wedges, like a pizza. Place the wedges on the baking sheet. Bake until golden brown about 30 minutes. Let cool on pan for 10 minutes.

Blueberry Rosemary Glaze

2/3 c. fresh or thawed frozen blueberries

leaves from one 3-inch sprig fresh rosemary

1/2 c. powdered sugar

2 T. lemon juice

2 t. vanilla

1/8 t. cornstarch

To make the glaze: In a food processor, puree the blueberries, rosemary, powdered sugar, lemon juice, vanilla and cornstarch. Transfer to a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring often, over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until slightly thickened, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat and let cool.

Transfer the warm scuffing to a wire cooling rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Spoon and spread the glaze over the scuffins. Let cool completely.

Comments (21)