SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmuhlhan84

Trying to find a cooking range - Frustrated! Help please!

lmuhlhan84
6 years ago

I'm looking for a range to replace my parent's '95 Jenn-Air dual-fuel LP 30" range. The old girl has lasted 22 years, but the broiler has gone kaput and the once-reliable burners are no longer; three out of four are basically simmer burners. With Christmas nearing, it would be the gift of gifts.

Both my father and brother are becoming more adventurous in the kitchen and my mother has been dying for an upgrade for extended family meals. To satisfy everyone's cooking styles there are key features I've picked for a new range. 60 days later...here I am still searching for the all-inclusive product; the models are becoming a blur. I just can't find one! This is what I'm in the market for:

• Price up to $6,000, prefer around $4,000 - $5,000 (or lower)
  • 30" Dual-Fuel LP slide-in gas range
    - Self cleaning a must (unless there is a concealed baking element)
  • Four or Five Burners with at least one high-output (20,000 - 25,000 BTUs or close), one 15,000 (or close) and one simmer burner.
  • True/Euro convection w/decent fan size (trying to avoid dual-fan; reviews of cold spots due to positioning)
  • Infrared broiler

These are simple requests on their own, but finding them all (or most) in one range is proving difficult. I've narrowed down my choices to:

1. Viking VDSC530T4BSS or VDSC5304BSS (No information is forthcoming on differences)
  2. GE Cafe C2S985SETSS
  3. Blue Star Platinum Series

The biggest issue I have is LP conversion BTU loss. Viking's 5 series is a line to consider and all the oven attributes I want are there, but Viking does not offer the 18,500 BTU power burner on the 30" range. It comes standard with 15,000 BTU output on all burners. With LP it's drastically reduced to 12,500 BTUs. That's a deal-breaker for me and I can't move up in size to the 36". Confusing as well are the model numbers listed above. No discernible features pop out to see that they are, in fact, different. The only things I can see are the VDSC530T4B has been discontinued and there has to be a meaning behind "T" in the model number.

The GE Cafe model C2S985SET, albeit on the other side of the spectrum from Viking, is another I was attracted to because of the price ($2298 locally), it includes a fifth center burner and GE is known to retain most of it's BTU energy in an LP conversion. There is still quite a bit of loss going from 20,000 to 15,000 on the power burner and the oven specs aren't quite what I'm looking for. There is a standard broiler (no infrared) and a small fan reverse air convection system. I'm also worried about GE turning over it's appliance division to Haier and what that might mean for the warranty and quality replacement parts.

I did look into the Blue Star Platinum Series and, though adding up to more than my top end budget, entertained expanding my price cap for nothing less than a hole-in-one. Thought I was there and realized they don't offer dual fuel! Back to the drawing board.

At this point I have neither the time or mental capacity to keep looking. Lol :)

Does anyone have suggestions on a range or can you point me in the right direction? I know 6K is my cap, but I'd like to have some left over for minor renovations if needed for the range to fit. Since more than likely a down draft will not be an option, a hood purchase may be in my future.

Thank you all so much for any help (and for reading through my venting rant...haha!) ;-)

P.S. Advice on venting systems/hoods are welcomed also; it would be above a 30" range and island measuring approx. 60" wide, 72" long. The ceilings are 13'. Currently there is nothing set up so I am clueless on how to begin that venture - or if I even truly need it.

Comments (15)