SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
engineerchic_gw

So frustrated about trying to buy art!

EngineerChic
11 years ago

I just need to vent ...

I'd seen a print in a framing store that I really liked, but wasn't 100% sure of. The sales person was very helpful and told me of an upcoming sale where it would drop from $650 to $550.

I waited and thought and even contacted the artist on the off chance the original was available (it's not). I was having a hard time paying $650 for a giclee for a couple reasons:
1) The shop labelled it as a lithograph, but it isn't. It is a giclee which is basically a very high quality inkjet print.
2) The frame it was in wouldn't work well with the room I wanted to put it in.

Finally I said to myself, "If it's still there, and they'll still offer the sale price, I'll buy it." The sale is still marketed on their website (it ended 10 days ago). I was hopeful that it would be possible to purchase it for $550, which is still a LOT of money for a print but I was rationalizing by saying it was framed and I'd always look at it and think of my first foray into buying art.

Well, they won't sell it for the sale price. So I asked if the frame could be changed. The frame it is in is very nice, but the edge is gold (bright, shiny gold). The front is an antiqued brown which would work with the room I want to put it in, but the gold would be very visible from the adjacent room & it would just look weird. All the metals in my house are black, pewter, or chrome.

I was thinking that if I'm going to pay $650 for a print, then at least it needed to be in a frame I really liked. So I asked how much it would be to change the frame (same glass & mat) and they said they'd get back to me. I just learned that to change the frame to something that is a solid brown will bring the print price to $787!

So I said no (very politely, explaining that I'm too new to purchasing art to invest so heavily in a piece at this time). I still like the image, but I know that if I were to buy it for $787 I would always look at the print and think, "Not only did you pay $100 more for this than you would have if you'd decided 10 days sooner, but then you paid an extra $140 to change the frame."

The GOOD news is that I've freed up the funds I was reserving to buy the print so I can start looking at original art again. I love the depth of oil paintings so will start looking for oils I love by local artists. And hopefully that frame shop will find someone else to buy the print.

I should be irked at myself for not buying it during the sale period. But I don't see a time in my future when a $650 purchase will be made on a whim if the item isn't one of a kind (and a limited edition print doesn't count to me).

What I learned from this is: Stay out of framing shops & stick with my plan to buy from artists (or art co-ops).

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz