SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicole___

I'll show you mine, if you'll show me yours...... ART WORK that is!

nicole___
2 years ago

In 1984. we purchased our 1st home. I immediately started a small collection of "Snowy Peak" oil paintings.....and others

This one: The frame is hand carved.

This one is showing it's age. Several creases have appeared.

This one...is special to me...the shop owner refused to sell it. She said, "Don't feel bad, your the third person whose tried to buy it." I called the main office & they assured me it was for sale. They'd talked to their branch manager & she would be calling me with a price...no call. My neighbor stepped in & made the purchase.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please post your favorite pieces of art work that YOU display in your home.

Comments (70)

• Kswl
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Really enjoying this thread with the variety of styles and media!

I love oils and water colors so that is mostly our original art.

The row of apples in the smaller painting is one of my favorites.

All of the above are in our dining room.

nicole___ thanked Kswl
  • Kswl
    2 years ago

Also in the dining room is a set of antique Redoute illustrations my mother gave me

And I have other botanical prints I cut from old books in the sitting room

And two fine prints of orchids in that same room

The detail is lovely.

nicole___ thanked Kswl
  • Kswl
    2 years ago

In our family room i have a couple of oils

and our Frame TV, below, with its incredible digitiized art collection subscription

Right now its a 1956 italian photograph of nuns on the beach with children.

We also have a six foot museum banner from the de Young advertising Girl with Pearl Earring in this room.

nicole___ thanked Kswl
  • Kswl
    2 years ago

And also on the main floor is our hunting dog collection of oils

and a random landscape i could not find another olace for

nicole___ thanked Kswl
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Edward Lear prints. A natural history artist and puns/jokes/limericks master.

A water color. I thought the proportions were wrong. The yellow coloring was wrong. I just shake my head when I look at it....it confuses my brain...🤪

My neighbor was an art teacher. She said about this painting, "It's not well done, but the frame makes up for it." 🤪 These are some of my "odd ball" pieces.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

This is one piece we saved. It was in the basement of our old house. DH really wanted to keep it so we did. We had it preserved and reframed. When the framer took it apart, there was newspaper in the back that was dated 1884 so we know it's at least that old. It's called Alderney by EAS Douglas. (Found the photo on line)

nicole___ thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    2 years ago

I have a couple mountain view oil paintings in the hallway.

nicole___ thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • H B
    2 years ago

My parents have a creative streak….so i have a lot of quilts on the walls and paintings…

nicole___ thanked H B
  • ice1
    2 years ago

I hardly ever post. but art is my most favorite thing ever.

we just down sized from a 3.000 square house to a 1.800 one. and I made sure all our art would work in the new house when we signed the papers.

The one on the top right is us with our grandchildren

This one is a family portrade made by one of my talented dd inlaws

I love it.

This one is by an Icelandic artist called Sossa

• ice1
    2 years ago

My grandfather was born in that house. I inherited it from him.

This one we brought with us from Cuba
    It is huge.

This one has a special place in my heart. it was made for me by an friend that has passed.

• porkandham
    2 years ago

@Kswl I have an apple painting too. I don't know anything about it. It belonged to my in laws. It’s small - 15” x 12” including the frame.

nicole___ thanked porkandham
  • LynnNM
    2 years ago

Here’s some more, these in our front foyer:

5’ tall Shaman sculpture:

Another shaman sculpture on the antique cabinet and above it a framed photograph of a cave painting:

8,000-10,000 year old spearhead framed on the opposite wall. On a towel here as the light through the windows in there is too bright for a decent photo at the moment.

And, over near the door:

nicole___ thanked LynnNM
  • porkandham
    2 years ago

These two hang over the mantels in our living room and master bedroom. I switch them out seasonally. The vase is in the family room in the fall and winter, and the lilly pads are there in the spring and summer.

• porkandham
    2 years ago

These were all anniversary presents. The little watercolor is the chapel where we were married.

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

Cows in my kitchen.

nicole___ thanked Sueb20
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

Those are all stunning pictures. I am in Austin for the month, so no art of mine on the walls.

Thank you, nicole for a brilliant thread!

nicole___ thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

I’ve so enjoyed every one of these. Like looking through a favorite magazine. :)

It’s cold, gray, and dreary here, terrible light for taking pictures. I’ll try to get some when the sun comes out.

Allison, I’m so glad to see that you still have my (ok, your) horse lamp, I’m very fond of it. :)

Oh, wait, I do have these three on the iPad I took a while back.

Theodore Gericault print (painted in 1815). My dad and I met for lunch one day, and then browsed at a beloved home decor boutique next door. I was enthralled with this huge framed print, but it was too pricey, so I pouted and we left.

He went back the next day and got it for me. :) I’ve had it nearly 30 yrs now.

I love the matting:

This is a Paulus Potter print, originally painted in 1653. My late husband, our DD, and I were staying in Boston for a while, 1998, and took a day trip to Plymouth. We found this print in a shop, I had a local place frame it when we came home. It was a wonderful trip and this is very special to me.

My DH knows why it’s special and that we’d planned to collect more Paulus works …. so for Christmas one year, he surprised me with another. :) The Piebald Horse, giclee, originally painted in the 1650s. Here it is before we framed it (I can’t get a pic of right now). It looks small here, but it’s quite large:

I’ll be back with more another day. I do have a lot of horse art, and a lot that isn’t. :)

nicole___ thanked Jilly
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

I fell in love with this sculpture and had to have it, so I bought it. It amazes me how he seems to defy gravity. It's in my foyer.

nicole___ thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Fori
    2 years ago

All my framed art has bad frames because I can't pick out new ones.

Sparkle blue glitter:

nicole___ thanked Fori
  • OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

The light isnt cooperating for taking some of mine right now. This is paper flowers, hanging over our bed.

Tree sculpture we found in Telluride several years ago. It’s about 20” wide x 18” and hangs in our DR.

This little copper piece with dogwood blooms is in our family room

A gift from my brother and sister-in-law when I turned 50. From an Alabama artist.

nicole___ thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Allison0704
    2 years ago

@Jilly Where are you going to put all "your" things when you get them? :D I love that lamp. Used it on my side of our bed last house. I'm up and down the stairs daily, so I still get to enjoy it. I have 7 lamps on timers, and the horse lamp is one of them.

nicole___ thanked Allison0704
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

I need another house for all of the things I’m taking from all of your houses. 😁

nicole___ thanked Jilly
  • Fori
    2 years ago

She speaks for herself:

Bookcase goat.

nicole___ thanked Fori
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    2 years ago

Here are a couple more of mine......

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Ok, my like button is not working today! I would hit every post here!

(It’s working on my thread, but not this one. Weird.)

nicole___ thanked Jilly
  • ilikefriday
    2 years ago

It was just delightful scrolling through all of these. It made my day.

nicole___ thanked ilikefriday
  • fnmroberts
    2 years ago

Wonderful thread.

Quickly snapped a few pix of individual pieces and edited my post During 40 years together we have collected a few oils, signed artists proofs and bronzes. Our favorite is a Mark Hopkins and we treasure a Nick Klepinger wood carving.

nicole___ thanked fnmroberts
  • Lars
    2 years ago

Here are some more from my bedroom in L.A.

Painting that my brother Kevin did, above my bed

Painting he did that is beside my bed

Life-size self portrait, in dining room

Paintings that are now in Cathedral City

Oaxacan tapetes and African masks and bowls in living room

Below, paintings in Kevin's bedroom

nicole___ thanked Lars
  • ilikefriday
    2 years ago

@lars Love that self portrait!

• Kswl
    2 years ago

Your brother‘s work is arresting, Lars.

nicole___ thanked Kswl
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    2 years ago

Your brother ’s paintings are amazing, Lars Lars.

• rubyclaire
    2 years ago

Seeing the apple artwork inspired me to share my oranges.
    Love seeing everyone’s art!

nicole___ thanked rubyclaire
  • ilikefriday
    2 years ago

I love the oranges. Did you paint them? I have been absent for a while and am out of the loop. @rubyclaire are you idaclaire?

My artwork · More Info

• rubyclaire
    2 years ago

@ilikefriday No, unfortunately I lack artistic talent. And no, I'm not Idaclaire but she is still around and has fabulous art if she sees this thread and wants to share.

nicole___ thanked rubyclaire
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

Friday, she goes by Kaya now. :)

And she needs to post her art!!

nicole___ thanked Jilly
  • ilikefriday
    2 years ago

Lol. Kaya. Rubyclaire. Idaclaire. It's hard to keep up! I love all the artwork.

• Kswl
    2 years ago

Whoa, I didn’t realize Jen was back— I’ll be looking for posts from Kaya now, thanks Friday. I am not keeping up, I’ve probably missed other people I knew also. 🤔

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

Fnmroberts! We have something in common!

nicole___ thanked Sueb20
  • fnmroberts
    2 years ago

@Sueb20 - How about that, small world. Madrid NM. We have a friend living in Albuquerque and always drive the turquoise road heading to Santa Fe

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

We got ours in Santa Fe 3 years ago. first time there, can’t go back because we spent our life savings there LOL.

• mnzinnia
    2 years ago

I'm in Florida for a couple of months. I stay in a condo owned by an elderly lady and furnished in 80's decor. Each year I take down a few of the prints and put up my "finds". These are two that I picked up at a thrift shop back room where they put out items deemed not good enough for the regular sales area or that they just don't have room for. Sometimes it's pretty meager pickings and sometimes you find some pretty nice stuff. You just make a modest donation for your whole basket. Anything not sold by the

end of the week goes to the dumpster. My sister and I have picked up many nice things for our condos or to take home.

The oil painting really perks up the condo living room. The thistle print is a numbered lithograph by Henry Mockel a noted desert botanical artist. These are going home with me!

nicole___ thanked mnzinnia
  • cawaps
    2 years ago

A couple more.

I don't think I've posted this one before. It's a pencil drawing that reminds me of my childhood (I grew up on a farm). Like a lot of my art, I got it at a Creative Growth Studio open house. It's by Charles Smith, and two staff members at the open house told me, "Wow, you're lucky. He NEVER sells his work."

And one more. She hangs in my kitchen now. I identify with her because of the blue and pink hair and child-bearing hips.

nicole___ thanked cawaps
  • Gizmo
    2 years ago

My LR kennel ;-)

Staff dogs on top of china cabinet

nicole___ thanked Gizmo
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    2 years ago

My goodness! I have never seen so many dog paintings under one roof! Are you a dog trainer? A breeder? A handler ? A dog show judge? :-)

• nicole___
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Just to keep this thread active...to allow others to find it and post...I'll submit a few of my prints. A courtesy bump. :0)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A sephia sand dollar. My husband & I welded the bed.

The weight room. Yoga prints: Childs pose & Warrior

Erin Lange: Lily Silhouette. It's a painted canvas, under glass.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: My prints were used to stage model homes, then given to me after the homes sold.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    2 years ago

A pretty bed Nicole!

Here is another oil printing I collected.

• lascatx
    2 years ago

I tried to post and found all my air-dropped files were in a format that would not post. Will have to find time to redo them. But my art is so different -- some "fine" and a lot of contemporary and folk art. This was the only one that worked and I took it down towait, but in case I don't make it back (I am behind on an 8 week course and trying to get caught up) -- this will be my one contribution. This is titled Angels from Above and was painted in response to the attack on 9/11. It hangs in my LR where I have an Americana folk piece, a new still life that may not have found its permanent home and some other contemporary art. It's an eclectic grouping with the link being rich saturated colors. The sofa is midnight velvet and the chairs are natural linen, both treated as neutrals. The background is an inset above the mantle that was painted for another painting when this was in DR. It isn't terrible with the painting, but were painted the walls and now I want to pick a new color for the inset and different painting.

nicole___ thanked lascatx
  • Gizmo
    2 years ago

summersrhythm_z6a

23 hours ago

My goodness! I have never seen so many dog paintings under one roof! Are you a dog trainer? A breeder? A handler ? A dog show judge? :-)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

None of the above

I'm a fan of the salon-style way of hanging art, I was/am a fan of the late ID Mario Buatta and I wanted to capture a similar feel w/the dog art on a budget

I also collect blu & wht

Mario Buatta's iconic room

nicole___ thanked Gizmo
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    2 years ago

Wow! I love your LR! I wish we could see more photos of your beautiful historical home. It looks like a designer's home from a magazine. You have great collections. Mario Buatta's LR is amazing indeed.

• ilikefriday
    2 years ago

@Gizmo

That room is fantastic!