SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
akphilchi

Can't decide between 2 kitchen layouts, please help!

Alice Kinsberg
6 years ago

I had 2 kitchen layouts presented to me. Each has its pros and cons and I am having a hard time deciding which layout would suit our needs. We are a 2 cook kitchen. Both my husband and I cook and sometimes my adult son as well. I wanted an island, seating for 4 and a second prep sink as my must haves.

I am pretty happy with the aisle clearances of 43 inches for both drawings. As you can see for 1 of the drawings, (the one with pink markings), the island is really a pennisula since one corner is butted against a corner. I am concerned about the workflow since one would need to past through the working aisle where the sink is to get to the fridge and the microwave which is to the right of the fridge. This might end up being a pain but I discussed this with my family members and they said they would be OK with it. The pennisula is 4 ft 11 inches x 8 ft 3 inches. Also, do you think the pennisula is too big for the space?

With the 2nd drawing where the island is an L shape, there is walking space around all 4 sides but as you can see that there isn't much clearance between the seats and wall so my feeling is with this layout, we would end up not using the seating area due to the tight space. I was also told that L shaped islands are not popular any longer.

Both drawings do allow for 24 inches per stool seating. There is currently a wall separating kitchen and dining room which will be removed as part of the kitchen reno.

Aesthetically, which layout would be more pleasing?

Hopefully someone can give me some insight.

I just tried uploading the 2 layouts but not sure if I was successful since I didn't get a message that it uploaded successfully.

Comments (8)