SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danielinthelionsden

Identify and propagate white cedar by cutting

Daniel Central IN, Zone 6a
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have a tree in my lawn that was planted by a previous owner an unknown number of years ago. I'm about 90% sure that it's some form of white cedar. I'm not sure if it's just the raw species or one of the named cultivars. But it's a pretty nice size for adding to the wind break I want to establish close to the house. So I'm thinking of trying to start a few new ones from cutting. I'm aware of the fact that white cedar is slow growing and I'm ok with the delayed gratification. I also have a pussy willow (also planted by previous owner). So I'm thinking I'll take a shot at brewing my own root hormone from the salix discolor by cutting up and boiling several twigs. Then soaking the cedar cutting in the salix water over night before planting them in sand to root. It seems like it should be a pretty fun experiment.

So here's the question. I'm wondering if anyone wants to take crack and identifying the cultivar of white cedar. It's about 10 to 12ft tall and maybe 6 to 8ft wide. I'm thinking maybe it could be techny. Thoughts?

Here are some pics:

Well you can't see it as well as I had hope in the pic but it has 3 primary leaders.

Here are some shots of the twigs.

Here's a couple more full tree shots:

Comments (9)