SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Advice on Kalanchoe 'Pink Butterflies' propagation?

mark4321_gw
11 years ago

I was stunned the first time I saw Kalanchoe 'Pink Butterflies' (a variegated sport of K. delagoensis x K. daigremontiana), growing in a planter on the main street (Castro St) in Mountain View, CA. It had an eerie reddish/pink glow that I noticed across the street. When I figured out what it was I gave the plant a shake and some offsets fell into my hands. They rooted, and I thought I would get some plants out of it:

{{gwi:602097}}

Unfortunately I believe that fungus gnats found the roots of these and did them in. As the offsets produce little chlorophyll, they are difficult to propagate compared to the unvariegated hybrid (or its parents).

I was able to find a bigger plant of the hybrid at a sale in June at the SF Botanical Garden ($6), which I gave to my mom. It has grown considerably but is still a relatively small plant:

{{gwi:602098}}

More recently I found the plant at OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware), for $4. There were 4 plants in a pot, so this was a reasonably good deal.

{{gwi:602099}}

At this point I have a plant to spare, so I decide to have some fun and to use it for propagation. Note the offsets that may have rooted:

{{gwi:602100}}

My experience propagating succulents is minimal, so I decided to ask for advice. I suspect that I would be told to make big cuttings, let the plant grow, etc. I usually take minimal cuttings, so I decided to make the cuttings first, then ask for advice.

Here's the plant all chopped up. The stem cuttings are two nodes, with the two upper leaves left. Sorry this is so fuzzy.

{{gwi:602101}}

I assume the "stump" will easily regrow a plant. My question is how to root the other fragments: the leaves and the stem cuttings. At this point I'm letting them dry/callus (starting Sunday night). I may try potting up the tip cutting first, as that looks a little fragile to me... Any advice on rooting the pieces, and the media to use would be appreciated. I'm going to keep these outside because of the potential fungus gnat problems. Our average temps are about 75-80/55 F. Humidity is variable; neither high nor low (dew point typically low 50s). I also have water incubated with mosquito dunks (which have the BT strain lethal for fungus gnats) if necessary. I have perlite, peat, "potting soil", vermiculite, rooting hormone, possibly some pumice, but not sand.

Anything that grows is free for postage.

Comments (26)