SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wildhyacinth

Need advice for my Kalanchoe blossfeldiana

wildhyacinth
8 years ago

Hello, again, fellow plant enthusiasts! I have a Kalanchoe blossfeldiana that's doing weird things. I bought it in the fall when it was in full bloom (pink flowers, not a double- petaled variety). The flowers lasted for weeks, and I was so enchanted with it that I decided to keep it to try to re-bloom it. Well...it didn't like winter so much. I repotted it after it was done blooming to a 4" terra cotta pot (it had been in a 3" plastic pot) into soil which I amended with perlite. Knowing that it's a succulent, and knowing that plants need less water in winter, I tried to water sparingly. I think I may have overdone it though, because its leaves started looking not-great and getting brown edges. I moved it to the window for more sun and it didn't like that either. Maybe too cold on the sill in the winter? I'm still not sure, but it started losing leaves. I moved it back away from the window again, trying to water a little more, and vowing to repot it come spring. Spring is (theoretically) here in Wisconsin, so I popped it out of its pot. It has barely any roots! I thought, aha, I over-potted it, and put it back into a 3" pot, this time glazed ceramic, and didn't put any perlite in the soil this time.

It seems...better...I guess? At least we've stopped losing leaves. However, it has grown these little towers of very small leaves (my guess is it's etiolation--what do you guys think?), and the towers are very wobbly. Here are some visuals:

If you can't tell from the photos, those taller bits of newer growth are very floppy. Should I prune them back and will they grow back stronger now, with the longer photoperiod? Is my plant a lost cause? What should I do? :-/

Comments (15)