SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Tips for buying a (future) foreclosure

weedyacres
6 years ago

We've been watching a house around the corner from us for 3 years now. The widower owner went into a nursing home about then, and he just passed away last week. The house has been empty and is in need of repair/updating (we walked through it back then).
Mr. Weedy saw some family there a few days ago, and talked with them briefly. They said it had been broken into a couple times and stuff was messed up/missing. The yard is overgrown, and some trees need to be taken out. They said they (the estate?) was going to let the bank take it.

The house is underwater, as they did multiple cash-out refi's over the years (court records). I went to the bank that holds the mortgage and talked with the Branch Manager. She was rather dismissive, wouldn't talk details, and vaguely said "processes were slow." I couldn't tell whether it's because they can't share things due to privacy or whether she found my inquiry annoying or a breach of etiquette.

Can anyone help me out with what the right way to go about potentially buying this house? I did swap cards with the bank manager and she said I could call her in a month or two. Will banks consider just doing a direct deal? Or are they all obligated to find an agent and put it on the open market?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH