SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kshugg

Need help with our Entrance/Mudroom/Stairs Layout

kshugg
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Everyone,

We’ve gotten most of our home design the way we like it, but are really struggling with the front entrance/stairs/mudroom design! We are building a walkout bungalow on an acreage in rural Saskatchewan, Canada.

Shown are two options for our entrance, one from the front and one from the side of our house – both would be fine options for access from the driveway, as it will wrap around that side of the house. (note - window placement is partially completed on the plans)

With Option 1: I am concerned that the entrance would feel too close to the dining room, but I like how the mudroom sink and bathroom each get a window.

With Option 2: I am concerned about the possibility of dirt/mud between the front entrance to the mudroom across the top of the stairs, but I’m not sure if that would be a common route or if it’s just in my head. I like that the entrance is it’s own area, separate from the dining room, and has a closet. I also dislike that there’s no window in the mudroom bathroom, the sink I can always just put a mirror behind. I am also not so keen on where the door from garage enters the mudroom, it seems to make the storage options a bit disjointed.

So, where to go from here? A hybrid using option 2 as the base, but push the bathroom out to have a window and a mudroom more like in option 1? Keep option 1 and put a partition of some kind in? I am trying not to add too much to the square footage, but walls could be moved.

Would love to hear your input, thank you in advance!

Option 1:

Option 2:

Comments (13)