SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ben2ee

HVAC Options to a Trane Gas Furnace/AC - HRV, Humidifier, Filter

Ben H
6 years ago

Home is in Bend, OR. High altitude, Dry Climate (Zone 5). 4250 ft. New Construction.

I need help choosing options to a system composed of Trans S9V2 120k BTU, XV18 5-Ton AC. We of several options.

1. Modulating XC95M Furnace. It's not an expensive option. One vendor claimed modulating furnaces didn't do well in the high and dry of Bend but didn't say why. Any truth to that ?
  2. Aprilaire 800 Humidifier (Steam). I've also heard caution on Humidifiers causing system and home damage from mildew. Bend can be uncomfortably dry much of the year. The quote was for an extra $1700 which seemed odd as the unit itself was $600. Seems a bit high. Are these difficult to install ?
  3. Trane Clean Effects (base unit was a Honeywell F100). Same as above, it was a $1300 upgrade and some reading reports the units are effective when clean but quickly lose efficacy. The Honeywell electrostatic unit was around $500 (unit only). I'm leaning towards just using the F100.
  4. Lifebreath HRV. I investigated these when we were going to use ductless (I lost the aesthetics battle there). Are these worthwhile ? The 100CFM ECM Motor unit is +2850$. Is this a worthwhile upgrade with a forced air system ? I know these are somewhat complex to install but still it looks like $1650 of that is just installation.
  5. Air Scrubber +800$. I want this. Anyone advise not to ?

Comments (3)