SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bjsbuds1

Replacing HVAC - is Carrier better than Trane?

bjsbuds1
12 years ago

2,400 sq ft ranch with 14 ft ceilings in 40% of house, also 1,000 sq ft finished basement in Southern Ohio.

Looking to replace builder installed 1996 Goodman GSU100-4 furnace and 1998 Janitrol CK49-1B 4-ton A/C unit. A/C unit failed two years ago. Was told it would only last one week and two years later it is still, but better not press my luck. Heat with propane.

Have received quotes from four different companies for Carrier, Trane, Bryant, and Tempstar systems.

From what I have read, Carrier is the favorite on this forum, and Trane is a close second. However, the Carrier dealer said that Bryant was better than Trane, and that Trane and Tempstar were on the same level.

Here are the two systems I am comparing at this point.

TRANE:

Furnace XV-95 / 100,000 BTU, 2 Stage, Variable Speed Blower Gas Furnace 96.7% AFUE and Heat Pump XL16i / 4 Ton,2 stage, 15.5 SEER, Clean Effects Air Cleaner, and Humidifier - $12,951 less $200 rebates.

Or

Carrier:

Furnace Infinity 96 Two-stage gas furnace (59TN6A100E21-22) and Carrier Puron Performance series two-stage heat pump (25HBC648), Infinity Air Purfier, and Humidifier - $13,795 less $350 in rebates.

Quotes are based upon 36 months interest free. Both companies are highly regarded.

Another $5,000 and I can get a Geothermal system, net of IRS tax credit.

Have no plans of moving in the near future, and ultimate goal is to lower electric & propane costs.

I would really appreciate your opinions on if these are the best systems for me, and if one is better than the other.

Comments (12)