SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grace_rhee

New retaining wall & refacing an old one at the same time

Grace L
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We're doing all new landscaping on a dirt backyard. I have an old 36 ft long retaining wall which I'm ready to cover with new material. We're planning to cover the existing wall with stacked stone (6x24 pre-fab panels) using thinset and seating caps on top for outdoor seating.

Dilemma: Perpendicular to this wall, I need to build a new 18 ft L retaining wall that adjoins to protect the slope drop down the center of my yard. My first choice was continue the same stacked stone for the entire L-shaped wall, but the problem for us is learning of the massive labor and cost of the new wall. Landscaper says it requires building a new 2 ft deep concrete foundation trench to support the new wall (3 ft tall), erect cinder blocks, then apply stacked stone to face both sides. This new short wall will cost 8X the amount of the longer wall because of the extra work and it's half the size!

Plan B: Is it a good idea to keep the stacked stone idea for the back wall, then install a different material such as redwood for the shorter wall? Hoping the corner can be anchored by a fire pit or something. My style is modern/transitional. This is hard to imagine, but wondering if we can mix two different wall materials in one yard?

Plan C: Retaining wall brick type blocks for both walls- which is easier on my landscaper and saves me at least $4K versus my Plan A. The challenge is that these retaining wall bricks tend to be quite thick - 10" deep could be too thick to put against the existing wall, but would be perfect for the new wall.

Note: The right side is the 2.5 ft lower elevation side. I welcome any suggestions or design critiques!

Comments (10)