SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allijanelewis

Kitchen cabinets: repaint, reface, or buy new...oh my!

allijanelewis
6 years ago

I have consulted with cabinet painters, refacers, and a designer for new cabinets. Each of them poses valid reasons why I should choose their option. My kitchen cabinets are 6 years old and of medium quality. They are Merrilat. They are not dovetailed or soft close drawers. 2 of the heavily used drawer panels have recently fallen off but the supplier came and screwed them back securely. I live in a nice home and resale would be above $500,000. I do not plan to move in the next 10 years.

My Goal: to brighten up my kitchen area preferably to a soft white. The cabinets and floor are the same color and need a contrast. The layout does not need much changing just a few tweeks.

Changes to be made:

1. My microwave above my gas cooktop is not vented. I cook a lot and am tired of lingering smells. It recently died and the size is no longer made. Replace with a blower installed inside a cabinetry hood.

2. Add glass doors to my Butler's pantry

3. Remove the desk area and replace to create a one level area of cabinetry.

4. Add a cabinet piece by the desk to house a microwave drawer.

5. backsplash

6. countertops

Options:

1. Purchase new cabinetry pieces from Merrilat and then have everything painted.

2. Reface cabinetry and let them create the needed pieces.

3. Purchase new cabinetry.

I would really appreciate some honest opinions from those that will not benefit from my decision. I am really struggling with what to do. Thank you for all input.

I have consulted with cabinet painters, refacers, and a designer for new cabinets. My kitchen cabinets are 6 years old and of medium quality. They are Merrilat.: I would like to brighten up my space which entails a new backsplash and counters. The cabinets and wood floor are the same color and need a contrast. The microwave above my gas cooktop is not vented. I cook a lot and am tired of the smells in my house lingering. I need to relocate this to a microwave drawer and add a cabinetry piece with a blower. I would also like to remove the desk area to make one level cabinet sectione microwave above my gas cooktop is not vented. I cook a lot and am tired of the smells in my house lingering. I need to relocate this to a microwave drawer and add a cabinetry piece with a blower. I would also like to remove the desk area to make one level cabinet section

Comments (20)