SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diyhomestagingtips

Buying an investment house with partners

Barbara Pilcher
6 years ago

Tell me if I am crazy to even consider this path.

A home in our neighborhood has been on the market for three years, and was vacant for a couple years before that. It's overpriced and has considerable deferred maintenance. It's a 3-bed, 2-bath brick ranch on .36-acre corner lot, with a fenced back yard, an attached 2-car garage, and an inground pool. All of that is fairly typical for the neighborhood, except newer nearby homes are a little larger and most do not have pools. It's the worst house on the block. The owner is nearly 90 years old, lives out of state, and bought the home as a rental investment property, overpaying for it about 8 years ago. She has incrementally lowered her asking price over the past three years from $185,000 to $130,000. She rescued it from foreclosure once during that time. Her children want her to sell., She is stubborn. My husband and I live very near in a similar home we've improved during our 11 years here. Our home would sell for about $160,000. We've been tempted to purchase the property, rehab it, sell ours, and move in, or flip it or even rent it out. We paid for a home inspection on her home and learned that a leak in the chimney cap has led to mold problems around the fireplace. There are numerous other smaller issues, that we figure would cost between $20,000 and $50,000 to repair, depending on how fancy you want to get and how much of the labor we could do ourselves. The home was built in 1988 and still has the original builder grade cabinets, counters and bath fixtures.

Everyone in the neighborhood wants this property sold. The pool breeds mosquitoes and the landscape is overgrown (although the grass gets mowed). I would love to own a pool. There are two families just doors away from us with children and no pool. See where I am going with this?

Has anyone had experience owning a property jointly for shared use? I've talked with one of the neighborhood dads who agrees that owning a property to be used as a pool house and a guest house would be lovely. Of course we'd get lawyered-up to make sure all parties are protected and everyone knows his rights. I know there would be numerous questions about schedules, title, taxes, maintenance, insurance, furnishings, etc. but I can't shake the thought that we could create a win-win-win situation.

Esther Williams was my role model growing up. Should I just get real and get over it? Any advice?

et over it? Any advice?

Comments (21)