Houzz Logo Print
shmoron

Enough to give you nightmares

goodstuf73
6 years ago

Comments (46)

• sleeperblues
    6 years ago

Wow, really weird. Wonder why they are selling?

• sheilajoyce_gw
    6 years ago

They need a bigger place for all their stuff because the rooms are too crowded with "art."

• Related Discussions

Do sconces on a vanity mirror give enough light?

Q

Comments (3)
    Oh yes, it doubles the light! Be sure to choose sconces with more than one bulb, and put them on a dimmer. That way you should be able to get as many variations of lighting as you'd need. I had the very same setting in the dressing room in my last house, but I don't have a picture that shows it that way anymore. This is is the dressing room I'm talking about: I don't have a picture, but it used to have a vanity all the way across, and mirrors above that covering the wall. On the mirrors we mounted two sconces, each with two candle bulbs. There was plenty of light. (We changed it our for resale; some people feel a wall of mirrors looks dated, and the vanity we had was dated, so we redid it).
    ...See More

A nightmare to end all nightmares!

Q

Comments (8)
    Just another thought if you want to go the hair dryer route is to get one of those hand held heat blowers that look like the hair dryers from a construction store. Forgot what they are called at the moment. They work just like a hair dryer on steroids so that should move your heating a scraping along a little faster. Use caution as these can blow some serious hot air that can cause a fire. Casey "http://www.driverdb.com/Sean McDonagh"
    ...See More

people not giving their fruit trees enough water

Q

Comments (2)
    Too generalized. The plants I see struggling around here in summer are arbor vitae or similar in hedges that tend to dry&die or else newly planted street trees of lower quality supplied by a non-profit and hastily planted. Most fruit trees locally, especially cherries, are ripe and done before real heat sets in. Wormy fruit is more prevalent than lack of water.
    ...See More

Will this dead space give enough support for countertop?

Q

Comments (4)
    Thank you! The countertop will most likely be Curava Savaii. I'm at the point in my designs with IKD that this next revision is $95 so I didn't want to have it redone if it turned out to be structurally unstable. We used to live in San Diego where the plywood subtop was the norm so it's a little offputting to picture a bigger slab sort of balancing on top.
    ...See More
  • goodstuf73
    Original Author
    6 years ago

at least the house itself appears to have emerged relatively unscathed (no crazy colors on the walls ect) its just all the bizarre things they have chosen to stuff it full of

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

Too bad about their hoarding problem! Instead of cats or garbage, right?

• marylmi
    6 years ago

A gorgeous house....minus all of that "stuff"

• jakkom
    6 years ago

Loved how the RE agent had to keep reminding viewers about all the fine architectural details because looking at those photos was so horrific, the house itself made almost no impression. LOL!

• sephia_wa
    6 years ago

Yikes! I couldn't get past all the stuff to see the features of the house. And apparently their agent doesn't know much about staging.

• goodstuf73
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Had to wonder if the caption on the picture of the library was some sort of subtle jab when the agent stated "All the bookcases would be hard to fill for most folks"

• donna_loomis
    6 years ago

That is just disgusting. If there was ever a fire in the middle of the night, I'd probably perish because I'd never be able to find my way out, nor would the firemen be able to find their way in!

• jemdandy
    6 years ago

The house is fine. They don't need another one; They need a big storage shed and a rummage sale.

• breenthumb
    6 years ago

That's just plain sad, and claustrophobic . And what's with all the "manikins" standing, sitting and on the ceiling?

• colleenoz
    6 years ago

The dummies are just creepy. If they want to sell quickly really they should box up all that stuff and put it into storage. I loved the line "Unfortunately the art goes with the artist". I'm not sure she meant to type the "un" :-) Also if she's going to point out dentil moulding she should spell it correctly.

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    6 years ago

Are we certain the most recent occupants/owners aren't buried under that weird little area with pavers surrounded by grass and with a view of a....irrigation/sewage canal? I bet there are alligators in that water, just imagine going out with your morning coffee and what do you see brazenly out to get some sun on the lawn? Why it is your future 3-4 pair of alligator shoes...depending on what size shoe you wear, possibly a new wallet as well!

• User
    6 years ago

There was a house in Calgary like that a few years ago. I never did see if it finally sold. The owner collected large dolls. There were thousands of them all over the house. It was creepy! The realtor should have had the owners pack them up before putting the house up for sale. LOL

What I find about both homes (the one here was over 10,000 sq feet, if I remember right. It was HUGE!), both owners are hoarders, yet they are clean and neat hoarders unlike those on the tv show Hoarders. Everything has a place and the house is clean. I can't imagine cleaning either home because of all the clutter though. My house is only a tiny 1000 sq ft house and it's too cluttered for me and I hate moving everything to clean. Can you imagine dusting and vacuuming that house?

• nickel_kg
    6 years ago

I couldn't make it through the whole thing. The RE agent was smart to caption each photo -- thanks to that, I could see the bones of a nice house under all the weird elements.

Please let a normal person buy this poor house and end its nightmare!

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Oh no, there will be no large dolls - I've seen that movie "Annabelle".

What's worse than large dolls? Large clown dolls. I'd almost prefer the headless mannequins.

As for the dusting and vacuuming...It wouldn't be so bad if each room were assigned its own cleaning service employee. :P Of course the homeowner would need to be ridiculously, independently wealthy to retain the services of such an expansive staff. I like to tease the mister by telling him he'll be kicked to the curb should I find an obscenely wealthy but quite elderly man with a heart condition and no problematic (for me) heirs. But I would probably let him convince me that he is a worthy pool boy. ;)

• share_oh
    6 years ago

Well the outside was nice!

I can't even imagine how long it will take them to pack all that crap if they do find a buyer!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 years ago

My biggest contingency would be the ceilings. They'd have to repair all the ceilings from hanging bodies and torsos with wires bolting them on.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Awful and creepy. Someone posted this yesterday in the home decor site. It would be a gorgeous home minus all the junk. I'd hate to be the one who has to pack up all that.

• Hareball
    6 years ago

Something about this home gives me an eerie feeling. I know the mannequins and décor have a lot to do with it. If I bought this house after seeing the way it's decorated now I don't know if I could feel comfortable. I feel sorry for the agent. I'm not a realtor but house selling 101 is to try to hide or move as many personal items as possible so the future owner can picture their stuff/style in the house. The people that own it must have given her a hard time or believe all of this stuff would actually sell the house.

The only neat thing I see in the house is the built in Mr. Rogers aquarium in the kitchen :D

• bob_cville
    6 years ago

First thoughts are wow. just.... wow. That is not just bad, its aggressively awful. The sheer volume of crap is nearly overwhelming, but then looking at some of the individual pieces (which I refuse to call art even in scare quotes) the ugly paintings with other ugly things glued to them, the creepy manikins, the clashing riotous color, all combine to make it that much worse. Furthermore it is not just a hoarder's accumulation of wall-to-wall stuff, this is all carefully arranged and placed -- someone actually meant to do this.

Reading the descriptions it almost seems like a Where's Waldo-type children's book "In this room there are plantation shutters, see if you can find them." Also given some of the decor items I'm not sure the description of the living room is a typo where it says: "The dental molding is a work of art" There might actually be human teeth around the top of the room.

Lastly trying to look past all of the junk doesn't make me think there's a gorgeous house hidden beneath all of that crap, instead it makes me think that someone who would consciously do any of that would likely have made similarly awful decisions as the house was being designed and built.

And just focusing on the Kitchen: a triple bowl sink, plus a prep sink? Too much for that size kitchen. the stone alcove around the range: incredibly dysfunctional layout making the corner area nearly inaccessible, no actual working space for cooking, and heaven help you to clean the rough stone if you every actually use the range. A too-small-to-be-usable island, and too few drawers.

A part of me wonders if this is all on purpose, to distract a potential buyer with the cornucopia of crap (TM), so they think they are getting a good deal on an otherwise good house, when in fact there are serious irremediable problems lurking, disguised by all the awful mess.

• bob_cville
    6 years ago

Actually I'll start the game. I see a black scotty dog. Whoever spots him first gets to go next.

Ready ... Go!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 years ago

I dunno bob. Did he do it in the kitchen with the candlestick? I spy lots of stuff. Pictures with hats on them, batman on the wall, legs sticking out from under a desk, even a stuffed German shepherd. but no scotty. Hope someone else finds him!

• chisue
    6 years ago

"Hello, 'Monback Trucking Company?"

Someone keeps all of this clean. I see an artistic 'statement' -- with dolls, portraits, mannequins, and possibly memories as the only occupants of an big -- otherwise empty -- house.

• Rusty
    6 years ago

Well, "different strokes for different folks!" It's really a beautiful house. Its current condition will get it a LOT of looks and publicity, hopefully the realtor will convince the owners to clear it out so that when people go back to see if it is really as bad as they thought it was, they will find a 'normal' showing, the real beauty will show up.

I agree with what someone above said, the realtor should spell 'dentil' correctly. She also should have proof read all of her comments, there were a number of errors.

Rusty

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

I think of the owner when I see this. Perhaps an older woman who is so lonely she fills her house with "art" to make herself feel better and in place of people she adds manikins. Perhaps she was not able to empty it out somewhat to sell. Perhaps there is a very patient, well-paid, cleaning service. I just feel sorry for the owner.

• goodstuf73
    Original Author
    6 years ago

"If there was ever a fire in the middle of the night, I'd probably perish because I'd never be able to find my way out, nor would the firemen be able to find their way in!"

Or the firemen would be too distracted attempting to rescue all the mannequins enshrouded in smoke to ever be able to determine if there were real humans in the house...

• Kathsgrdn
    6 years ago

Who wants a creepy manikin sitting at the end of your bed?!!!! Love the library, my son could use a room like that, he has so many books.

• goodstuf73
    Original Author
    6 years ago

" I think of the owner when I see this. Perhaps an older woman.."

There appear to be family pictures in the breakfast room over the fish tank. The family (if these are indeed pictures of the occupants) appear to be somewhat young

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

The outside is gorgeous. Who would possibly think that the inside is a he** hole. I saw a Christmas tree still up and decorated. To even call those 'spare bedrooms' is a stretch......they're just catch-all rooms.

They probably do most of their cooking on the bbq, the kitchen is pretty useless for the most part.

• nicole___
    6 years ago

I think they need a mannequin out there barbecuing. A missed opportunity to display another weird object. lol WOW! Just WOW! Makes me want to declutter and throw something out. :0)

• marylmi
    6 years ago

I just looked again with my magnifying glass and it looks like most of the items could have been purchased by kids! I'll take that kitchen, once it's cleaned up! Lol

• User
    6 years ago

That place gives me the ibby jeebies, even if it were cleaned up, I wouldn't want to live there! They're probably selling because they have huge credit card debt to go with all that crap and can no longer afford the payments for the house!

• colleenoz
    6 years ago

Ah! Found the scottie! He's a statuette with a red collar, under the dining table in picture #9 :-)

Now... who can see a bear in a white hat?

• evatx
    6 years ago

I can't imagine packing and moving all that "stuff." Much less finding a place in a new house for all of it. I don't even know if moving vans are made big enough! Better they than I, though.

• bob_cville
    6 years ago

Good job on the Scottie dog. I haven't found the Bear in a White Hat yet.

• jemdandy
    6 years ago

The only nightmare I see is the property tax bill.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

I found two scotties. The one Colleenoz found and another one. Can anyone find the other? It is much smaller and next to what I believe to be the ID of the owner.

6 years ago

Maybe if they get enough money from selling the place they can afford to get more than just one moving van? Hopefully from a company where none of the drivers are afraid of dolls/mannequins. :P

• colleenoz
    6 years ago

Outside playing- what # is the picture? I can't see anything I would interpret as "the ID of the owner" (or the ID of anyone). I can see something in pic # 2 of the main gate but I'm pretty sure it's part of the gate mechanism.

• Rusty
    6 years ago

Actually, it's not at all hard to find the ID of the owner, what with current technology, Internet, etc.

And I believe the realtor speaks of the owner as an 'artist', as do other sources, so I'm thinking a lot of the stuff is actually either the end result of his/her art, or material for future projects. Maybe both.

Anyone here ever watch "American Pickers"? This house is not bad at all in comparison to some of those Mike and Frank get invited to. It all boils down to the fact that one man's trash is another man's treasure.

:^)

Rusty

• bob_cville
    6 years ago

I found the other scottie. I can't make out the name on the placard next to it, but its the type of sign that offices often have to show whose office it is. I also just found the Bear in a White Hat in the next picture after the one with the other scottie.

• Rusty
    6 years ago

Okay, I found the bear with the white hat, and the second scotty. The name on the plaque does appear to be similar to that of the owner.

There are a number of things, toys and signs, that are possibly quite valuable and sought after by collectors.

Rusty

• colleenoz
    6 years ago

Ah, spotted it. Thanks Bob!

• adellabedella_usa
    6 years ago

This house was on the news earlier. Link It may answer some of your questions.

I saw some things I liked individually in the house, but it's not really what I would call art. It looks more like what I see when I go to some of the vintage and antique places. They display everything they can and it is overwhelming.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County